Thursday, March 12, 2009

TURN IT OFF, CLAY!!!

I had rehearsal again tonight and need to get up early because I'm taping an interview in the morning for a show called Mix Matters on WTMX in Chicago.
I hate to post another rerun because the kids have been acting especially crazy and getting into mischief and cracking me up lately, but I just don't have time to write about their goofiness tonight. So, here's another rerun from 12/07. Enjoy!


I was making some pumpkin bread today because I'm such an awesome homemaker and that's just the kind of thing I do. No? Would you believe that I was making it because I had a sweet tooth attack and there was nothing good to eat in the house despite the fact that I'd gone to the grocery store just last night? I knew I should've saved some cookies for today!
So I was making pumpkin bread when my three year old wandered into the kitchen.

CLAY: Whatcha doing, Mommy? Are you making a birthday cake for me?
ME: Is it your birthday?
CLAY: Yes!
ME: Really? (in case you're wondering, it is not his birthday) How old are you now?
CLAY: One, two, three, five, six, eleven!
ME: Eleven? Wow! You're getting pretty old.
CLAY: You're really old Mom.
ME: Gee thanks, hon. Well, I'm not making a birthday cake today. I'm making pumpkin bread.
CLAY: Can I help you?
ME: Oh please no! Don't you want to go watch something stupid on television instead. Sure!

So I measured the ingredients and Clay poured them into my mixer. I let him smell the cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves before spooning them out. He thought they smelled so good that he shared with Brooklyn and let her smell the container of nutmeg too. She took a nice big sniff, inhaled 1/2 a teaspoon of nutmeg, proceeded to cry, rub her nose and sneeze out brownish, nutmeg-colored snot. Note to self - next time no sniffing the ingredients before measuring and pouring.

So far, so good. He's actually doing a good job and is getting the ingredients mostly IN the bowl. I showed him how to turn my mixer on low speed and he had fun watching the bread dough combine. I added the last two cups of flour and turned around to put the measuring cup in the sink when Clay turned my mixer on. High speed. The highest speed ever. It looked like it was snowing in my kitchen. Flour poofed out everywhere. Have you ever had improvements that required drywall done in your house? You know that drywall dust that clings to everything for months? Flour might just be worse. I, of course, used the utmost calm as I called to Clay to turn off the mixer while I ran across the kitchen.

ME: Turn it off! OFF! Clay! TURN OFF THE MIXER!!! CLAY TURN IT OFF! OFF! OFF!!!!!! CLAAAAAY!!!! TURN IT OFF!!!!

Because I maintained such a serene disposition, Clay freaked out and turned the mixer up even higher. Boy, it was fun times around here. After I got the flour explosion cleaned up, I got to clean up Brooklyn who was playing in the flour and licking it up off the counters. Mmmm, who needs butter, pumpkin, spices, or eggs when you've got delicious plain ole flour.

I can't wait til we start making Christmas cookies! I make a LOT of Christmas cookies. Cookies are the best food group, after all.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

My kids saw a commercial for homemade ice cream once...i came home to cups in the sink that were packed full of wet salt. They said it didn't taste very good. I'm glad they never saw a commercial for anything containing flour!

ALPI HARIKALAR DIYARINDA said...

Hello Dawn,
This made me smile:) and reminds me an old memory belongs to our old kitchen when I was 6-7:))

Jodi Dolbel said...

Too Funny Dawn!! Im loving the reruns!!!
Your ebay book is going well. When are you gonna posnt an international ebay book!!!

Cupcake Dessert said...

oh my!! kids are so fun LOL

Tabby said...

Oh yeah. The joy of baking with kids. *sigh*

Anonymous said...

Oh no! Now you're going to get another round of comments about how you shouldn't let your children inhale nutmeg!!!

I can't believe how long I've "known" you! When you said the post was from 12/07, I thought, Oh, I haven't been reading her blog that long, so it will be new to me. But no, I've read it before!

Kathy said...

Hi Dawn! I'm really excited to hear your book is coming out early. I pre-ordered it on Amazon and I got an email today saying it would ship next week, I can't wait to read it!

Amber DBTD said...

Cookies are indeed the best food group!

AiringMyLaundry said...

How funny!

I always cringe when my son wants to help me cook. It usually ends up messy. One time he threw a whole egg into the bowl and then mashed it up and went, "I'm a great helper, huh?"

I said yes. I didn't want to break his little heart.

Who's Visiting My Blog Right Now?

 
Home About Dawn Blog Books News & Events Press Kit Contact

Dawn Meehan 2008-. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design by Jones House Creative