Saturday, January 29, 2011

A Tale of Due Pities

Below are two stories about the stuff that has happened the last few months. I've written two different accounts of the same events. They're both true stories. They're both accurate. One of these stories will make you want to curl up and cry; the other one will make you feel, well, read the stories yourself and you tell me how they make you feel.


STORY ONE

This fall, the catalytic converter went out on my van, costing me $1000 to repair. I hate spending money on car repairs, especially stupid ones like this. I mean, my car was working just fine with the old converter, but noooo, you can't renew your registration unless you can pass the emission test and you can't pass the emission test without a working catalytic converter.

Soon after this, I developed a horrible pain in my abdomen. I waited it out for several days, thinking it would eventually go away, but it just kept getting worse until I couldn't stand it any longer. I decided to break down and pay the stupid $800 a month for COBRA and I went to the emergency room where I was diagnosed with diverticulitis. I had to spend a couple weeks on a liquid diet with strong antibiotics that made me feel much worse than the diverticulitis ever did. It was horrendous.

As if the diverticulitis wasn't bad enough, they also found a mass on my ovary that I had to have surgically removed. While doing the surgery, my doctor discovered that I had a considerable amount of endometriosis as well. Fabulous.

On October, all six kids and I came down with the virus from hell. We were all puking and pooping for days. It was so disgusting! I don't know how we survived that.

Then, during the first really bitter cold weather of the season, my furnace went out. I don't even want to remember how much that cost to fix! We spent two days and nights freezing our butts off, waiting for it to be fixed which totally sucked.

Soon after the furnace went out, Austin came to me with the news that he was really depressed, had been self-injuring, and wanted help. After taking him to the ER, he spent a week in the hospital and then three more weeks in outpatient treatment.

Before Austin had even been released from outpatient treatment, Jackson was admitted to the hospital for his own depression issues.

While I was driving back and forth to the hospital every day, sometimes several times a day, I had to leave Savannah in charge of the little ones and I felt horrible and guilty for that. Too often, I threw some pasta or McDonald's on the table and called it dinner. Meanwhile, all my Christmas preparations were put on hold.

My medical bills were stacking up, but still, I couldn't get my ex to pay a penny of his portion of the medical bills (not to mention school registration fees and extracurricular activity fees).

Then my ex texted me to tell me he'd been fired. There went all medical insurance for the kids and all child support.

And then someone went and called DCFS on me because Jackson was depressed and in the hospital. You know, because I didn't have enough to deal with. It's a good thing I have such wonderful people looking out for my kids' well-being. Of course, the person who reported me had very specific things to say in the report. Things I'd never written about on my blog. Things that only a couple of my very best friends and my ex knew. Gee, I wonder who could possibly have called?

Jackson had to be admitted to the hospital not once, not twice, but three separate times before they finally changed his meds completely. After five or so weeks of inpatient treatment, he was discharged.

Then I decided to get my bathroom fixed to remove the little bit of mold that was on the baseboards. As the work got underway, we discovered the mold on the baseboards was only the tip of the iceberg. It was a much, much larger problem than was anticipated. There was a ton of mold!

Then I cracked a tooth. I have no insurance for myself.

Austin's hair has been falling out for a few weeks. It's gotten to the point where I'm really concerned. When I added the hair loss to the depression, total lethargy, constipation, and dry skin, I began to wonder if he has thyroid problems. I took him to the doctor where we had to wait for almost an hour while a little kids walked around the waiting room coughing all over the place. That was fun. The doctor sent us for bloodwork, but failed to mention that the lab was closed for the day. We drove to the hospital for the bloodwork, but were turned away and told to come back tomorrow.

Life sucks so bad. I don't understand why all these things keep happening to me. When will it stop? WILL it ever stop? I just want to crawl into bed and stay there forever. It's unfair!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
STORY TWO

The catalytic converter went out on my van this fall. It stunk having to pay for that repair, but I'm thankful it wasn't anything serious that could have caused a dangerous situation or an accident. I'm lucky that my friend, Doreen knew of a reputable mechanic, and both my friend, Eric and my dad were able to give me rides to and from the repair shop.

Soon after this, I developed a horrible pain in my abdomen. Thankfully, I was able to sign up for COBRA insurance so I went to the ER to get checked out. The doctors diagnosed me with diverticulitis. The good news is that it was managed with medicine and I only had to endure a couple weeks of pain and nausea.

The CT scan I received in the hospital also uncovered a mass on my ovary. How fortunate that they found this mass and were able to surgically remove it before it gave me any pain or problems. While performing the surgery, the doctor discovered that I had a fair amount of endometriosis. Thank God I have a high tolerance for pain and haven't needed any intervention for this yet.

In October, all six kids and I came down with a nasty intestinal virus. Thankfully, it was fairly short-lived for each of us and even more thankfully, my hero, Eric, came over and cleaned up and puke and took care of us. Plus, I got over the virus just in time to leave for my author retreat in California.

Then my furnace went out. Thankfully, I have a friend who works for a heating and cooling company and he was able to give me a fair deal while I was able to help him out with some side work. We only had to be without heat for two days and it wasn't all that bad since my friend lent us his space heaters during that time. Now I have a brand new, efficient furnace and will receive a sizeable tax credit because of it.

Austin told me he'd been feeling depressed. How awesome is it that he was able to recognize his feelings and share them with me, knowing I'd be able to help him. After only a few weeks of treatment, he's doing so much better. I am so thankful he came to me when he did and that help was available to us.

Jackson also approached me with his own feelings of depression and we were able to get him help too. As much as I didn't like driving back and forth to the hospital, at least the boys were in the same place and it was only half an hour away.

While I was driving back and forth, I knew I could count on Savannah to put the little ones to bed for me. My kids were thrilled that they got pasta and fast food so often during this time. I was able to make sure Savannah still got plenty of time to hang out with her friends and go to the movies and the mall during this time too. As far as Christmas preparations went, this year, we celebrated the little things and realized that baking cookies, sending out cards, and decorating weren't all that important.

My medical bills were stacking up, but I was able to keep up with them despite the fact that my ex wasn't being reliable or responsible.

DCFS called me to ask me a couple questions. I answered them and she scheduled a visit with me for the next day. The next day came and she called and said she wouldn't be able to get out this way for another week or so. Clearly, this was a routine thing that she had to follow up on, but she wasn't concerned about it. It's good we live in a country that has these measures in place to help protect children who are really abused or neglected.

On Jackson's third hospital admission, the doctor decided to radically change his medication. There have been some positive changes in his mood since the medication was revised.

Because my dear friend, Kelli, hijacked my blog and my awesome readers came forward with the most amazing outpouring of support, I was able to have some mold removed in my bathroom. It turned out to be a much bigger problem than I originally thought. Thank God I was able to have this taken care of now!

I cracked a tooth. Thankfully, it doesn't hurt so there's no hurry to get it fixed right now. Hopefully the state insurance will kick in soon. If not, my awesome readers gave me the idea of checking into dental schools to have the work done at a reasonable price.

Because Austin's hair has been falling out and he's experiencing some other troubling symptoms, I took him to the doctor. The doctor thinks it could very well be a problem with Austin's thyroid. All he needs is simple blood test to find out. If that's the case, it would explain a lot of symptoms. And with just a little medicine, he should feel a lot better!

Yeah, I've had a lot of crappy things happen in the past several months, but I still know that God is with me. He's got a plan. It must be a pretty big plan and He's preparing me in a major way. I'm not sure what the future will hold, but I'm excited about the possibilities. And I'm so thankful for my friends, both real-life and virtual, who have been a HUGE source of encouragement and support! Life is good!


We choose how we look at things. We can dwell on the negative and get pulled under and drown in a sea of despair, or we can look at the positive, find hope and happiness and go on, trusting in God.

74 comments:

Michelle said...

You realize that reading this - the second story - made me cry, right? That is the attitude I strive for, and I know how often I fail. God bless you.

And yes, you're coming to lunch with me soon. Really soon. xoxo

Anonymous said...

Getting the thyroid treated, if he does have a problem could also help with the depression. Tyroid problems can also be genetic so you should probably look at getting the other kids tested if there is a problem. I love the way you've described the same story twice here, yet they're so different.

Jen@Scrapingirl said...

You have such an awesome outlook on your life. When I grow up, I hope to be like you. :) Did that make you smile? If so, I did my job. My kids and I pray for you everyday, in our morning prayers before school. While they may not know who you are, they care about you and your kids. God bless.

Denise Scotti said...

Thanks for this. You really are an inspiration, thanks so much!! You inspire me to write, and to be a better person. Good luck to you, and keep up your positive work. You are a great writer, and a wonderful Mom. Your kids are lucky to have you as a role model!

Denise
bestparent.wordpress.com

Amy said...

Dawn -

All I can say is: YOU ROCK! God bless you

Kelli Standish said...

I AM SO PROUD OF YOU. And so proud to know you. You make me want to stand up and CHEER. And work harder to find the good and beauty in my own life.

((HUGE HUGS))
Kelli

Kat said...

You are absolutely right Dawn, it's a matter of keeping perspective. My family too has been going through difficulties piled upon difficulties over this past year but we continue to keep our eyes on the horizon and know we will eventually get through it all. I heard a metaphor yesterday that made me pause as we had just received another piece of bad news and the timing was perfect. Yes you're neck deep in "manure" right now while you are in this valley, but nothing grows on a mountain top. You need the fertilizer to grow.

Unknown said...

I'm so amazed at your positivity. I would totally dwell on the negative, but you are shouldering so much and still smiling. You are an amazing woman!

V1nce said...

I'm a brighter side kinda guy myself. I'd rather focus on the positive while ignoring the negative.

If you see a bus about to hit you, SMILE this way the last thing people know of you is that you went out happy!

Kimberly said...

What a beautiful and heartfelt story! I am a blog-stalker who has been following you for some time now, and I've been praying for you and your family since I first found your blog. This is the first time I've actually commented, though.

This is an inspiring and wonderfully honest depiction of how, when things are out of control, we have two choices-- either we can wallow in self-pity, or we can recognize that God has a bigger purpose for us, and if we trust in him, he will reveal his grace to us.

I loved reading this, because it reminded me that it is okay to be upset when life isn't fair (and let's face it, life is rarely fair), as long as we do not let that pain and anger overcome us. As someone who suffered with self-injury and an eating disorder for years, I can especially relate to what Austin is going through. But I can attest (after several inpatient stays of my own during high school and a very-nearly-successful suicide attempt) that it DOES GET BETTER!

God has blessed you with six beautiful children, Dawn, and you are a wonderful mother. I know that you will all be stronger for these experiences in the end, and I pray that these struggles bring your family closer together.

Thank you for sharing this. I'd been having a rough couple of days, and this made me want to focus on the positives in my life, instead of dwelling on those things that are out of my control.

Praying for you and your kiddos!

Unknown said...

That was a wonderful post, Dawn. You perfectly demonstrated the half full/half empty viewpoint. Thank you!

Virginia King said...

Wow, Dawn! You are truly inspirational!! From one single mom to another, thanks for the reminder to trust in God's plan, even when we go through the low places. (((HUGS)))

Caroline said...

Dawn,

Phheww! That has been quite a few months, last year really, you and your children have had. My guess is you went back and forth between the two ways to look at and experience things, as we all do. I am sure you have ended up in the second camp because that is who you seem to be as a person. I do think you are being prepared in a major way for all sorts of amazing and wonderful things, some of which have already started. You are in the clearing out the ugly, the useless and the negative stage. Once that is gone, there is room for lovely new positive stuff to take it's place. GO DAWN!!!
Much love, Caroline

debi9kids said...

Boy. I understand fully and I'm glad to see you aren't letting the garbage get you down.
Keep the faith Dawn.

Tiff said...

Dawn, you are such an amazing person! I'm so glad you continue to see the good in your life as Satan continues to throw crap your way. I deeply admire you, and I think you for sharing such a great perspective. Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

It's truly amazing the difference in perspective. Praying that we can all look at our lives as you did in the second version, and not the first!
We have such amazing eyewitness testimony of Jesus and just a fraction of what He did while He was visibly present here on earth. Look only to Him! Praying!
1 John 1:1-4 That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life; (For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and shew unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us;) That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ. And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full.
Prayer Bears
My email address

tinsenpup said...

I love your positive, but practical take on things. It's genuinely inspiring. Congratulations in particular to you and your boys for taking such care with their mental health.

Leah Dudley said...

Story 2 is definitely the way to go...life can be challenging but you should always look for the positive with gratitude and hope in your heart!

lightening said...

Call me lazy but I wish blogs had "like" buttons like facebook does. Sometimes you just want to let someone know you've read what they've written and appreciate it but don't have a specific comment to make. :-)

Lightening
www.lighteningonline.com

Aky said...

Go Dawn! And thankfully we have you in our lives to remind us to be thankful!! Have a great day xxx

Melissa said...

AMEN!! I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason, and it might not be apparent straight away.....you just have to be patient and have faith!

Jennifer said...

I heard this sermon a couple of years ago that really stuck with me. The minister said that God is in the circumstance. Sometimes when we think we are all alone and are wondering why He is letting all of these things happen to us that we need to remember that He is right down there in the bad with us. He's just waiting to use all of that bad for good and when you come out on the other side then it will be so much better than what you could have ever imagined. I think that is what is happening now, and when you get a blessing on the other side and share that blessing it is going to touch so many people. The reach you have is amazing and what happens on the other side of this is going to be amazing as well.

Jen Reil said...

You are such a strong woman. I hope this new year will bring much happiness your way!

Donna. W said...

I love this, Dawn. I think I'll share it on Facebook. By the way, after all you've been through I think the first way of describing things would probably be what I'd be saying. God bless you, lady.

Chris said...

Dawn, obviously the second version is the one we "want" to hear, but frankly, the first one is how you feel sometimes, and it's important to know that you can vent safely here. Glad to hear that Jackson and Austin are getting better! That's the most important part of the story!!

Laura~peach~ said...

well my dear you have written the most glaring example of how God works in our lives. WHEN we choose to look at things the way he wants us to... the second is of course the HARDER of the two ways to look at things but, absolutely the best way to handle them for your self and your babies.

I so admire your ability to write out what you see think and feel and am really proud to be able to call you a online friend.

We have no clue yet where all this is leading but believe me when I say that You and your life experiences that you choose to share with the world ARE Affect/Effecting I never quite know which fits ... someones life in a positive mannor and Honest I do not know how anyone can live in this world without God being in their lives. Because with out him the first story is all they have and it is full of hopelessness and sorrow.

Thank you for choosing to share your lives.

Hugs and prayers from Georgia :)

Sarah said...

Amen, Dawn! This is great. I love your perspective (both of them)...the reality and then way you can choose to look at things. I am still praying for your family and hope that the boys are doing better and things will turn around for you soon and you can enjoy being together as a family doing normal things like picking dried cereal plastered to the floor with the milk and cleaning up the messes the youngest two get into! :)

Figaro said...

I have been reading your blog for a long time and have been sending you lots and lots of positive thoughts the whole time...especially lately. I have to say the second story made tears come to my eyes, not because it was sad but because it was you looking on the bright side. I do the same thing. I always try to look on the positive side of things cause if I didn't, I would be sad all the time and that would not be fair to the kids.

I will be continuing to send you the positive thoughts. I think you are doing a really good job with them and do not let the bad comments get you down, they are basing their comments on a small part of your life, they know not of what they speak.

Janet said...

Dawn you are a wonderful writer you did make me cry and also see that there is a plan for everything, you just have to have faith and hold onto your friends for encouragement

MaBunny said...

Well, the first one made me sad. The second one was still sad but a bit more positive sounding. All I can offer are prayers and hope for the best, as I am dealing with a bunch of my own crap right now. Just gotta keep on keepin' on!

tamrabsheldon said...

You are an amazingly strong woman. I am humbled by how strong you have stayed through all of your misfortunes and how your faith has buoyed you. Keep it up, chica... your kids see your determination and strength and are learning valuable lessons.

Keren said...

I'm not sure you intended it this way, but I found myself tearing up at the second story. You are really an inspiration. I'm so glad you didn't give up on blogging!

Vivian M said...

Right under "Leave your comment", it says: "This is where you tell me how awesome and funny I am."
I don't think I need to tell you what you already know, or your friends and readers will most likely post anyway.
But just in case, you are an awesome Mom, a very funny person, and a really good author and blogger.
Sending you hugs,
Vivian M

JennyF said...

You have certainly been put through the trials, and I'm sure it's difficult to keep the more positive outlook.

My new name for you is Job, and I think that, like Job, you will be blessed many times over on the other side of this experience.

shirley said...

i feel for you on the catalytic converter...my truck needs one, too. i don't have $2500 right now to repair it. i love your blog and read it daily. i wish i could fix some of your problems because you fix my mood with your humor. keep on being positive and take care of you...things always work out in the end.

Unknown said...

I'm keeping this post handy, so on the days when life is getting the best of me, I can read it and remind myself that sometimes, it's all about the attitude.

Thanks for writing this! (Also, you are awesome and funny!)

Aloha Ya'll! said...

This is a FANTASTIC post! With everything that's happened to you lately, it would be easy to have a really rotten attitude. I hope you are able to stay in the frame of mind of the scond half but I know it isn't easy!

Lisa said...

Still praying for you and the whole family.

Unknown said...

Profound comparison! "Positively" (pun intended) profound! And positively powerful as well.

DWOP said...

Dawn you truly inspire me. I am so thankful to have found your blog. Things HAVE to start looking up for you guys. You have such a great attitude, I wish I had half of your outlook. Hugs

T.M. said...

Thank you for the reminder that attitude changes so much! I am striving to focus on the positive sides of things every day as I battle anxiety and worry. I know that focusing on the positives can help keep that blood pressure and heart rate down! You are doing some fantastic things for your family. You're right - Life IS good! You remain in my prayers.

Ruth said...

Sometimes it's just a little bit of both (story 1 and 2) that get us through life....we vent and then we can look back and be thankful of how bad it really could have been..
hang in there..
Ruth

Valerie said...

Thanks for sharing both perspectives - it's such a good reminder. Several (Ok, like 15) years ago a mentor once told me that every morning she prays for the Lord to give her eyes like His so that she can have the proper perspective on all her circumstances. That attitude and prayer got me through a lot. I pray it does for you too. Praying for you and your family!!!!

Amy said...

I have to admit - the first was more *me*. Sigh. The second reminded me of a Christmas letter!
Amy

Gretchen said...

You give me goosebumps. you know, the good kind. You are such an amazing woman of strong faith and inner strength that is such an inspiration to others. I am so blessed to virtually know you and be able to call you someone I look up to. I truly do. You are an awesome woman, Dawn, never forget that.

Lesley said...

Dawn, how wonderful of you to post these 2 stories. I admit, I am a VERY negative person. And it has not only affected my life, but the lives of my husband and kids as well. I have been trying hard to change my thoughts and behaviors. Reading your stories has shed a new light on what I need to do to change my negative thought process. God is good, and you WILL get through this, and be stronger because of it.

Donna Mc said...

God Bless you, Dawn!

Two things come to my mind when I read your post today...

1. "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming'...Dorie, from Finding Nemo. Don't give up, girlfriend!

2. "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."Jeremiah 29:11 That's 'my' verse. It's keeps me sane, grounded, and ever hopeful. Lean on it, girlfriend. Lean on it!

Rachel said...

You are awesome! I love your attitude. It is all in God's hands.

Unknown said...

Dawn, words cannot describe the way your blog changes my life, my attitude, my outlook, everything when i read it. You are an inspiration to me, and i strive to be the mother that you are. There are times when things seem insane in my own life, and i take a minute to read through some old and new blog posts to put things in perspective. thank you for helping me recognize the many blessings in my own life, and for being one of those blessings! keep your head held high, because YOU ROCK!!!! <3 love and prayers <3

Kila said...

I loved this. It's all how you look at things. Let's go with story #2, in between falling apart over story #1.

I struggle with depression myself. So glad your boys spoke up and are getting help for it.

(BTW, I'm pretty sure your ex still has to pay child support at the same rate he did while employed! (I'm divorced and the paying party, and being unemployed made no difference in the support I had to pay!))

Hang in there and keep the faith!

Krys72599 said...

Thanks, Dawn, for the reminder that it's all in how you look at things... Hope you don't mind, but I posted a link to this post of yours on my blog - I think people need to remember that you can make your own reality just by how you look at things...
http://krysworld.blogspot.com/2011/01/it-really-isnt-that-bad.html

Karen said...

Wow, Dawn. You are amazing!

Pams Party said...

Dawn.. I am so glad you are staying strong and keeping faith. When life starts to get overwhelming for our family, my best friend liks to remind me that we will get double for our trouble. With all the trouble you have been through, you will be receiving some amazing blessings. Keep your great positive attitude because the Lord always provides. Things might not always be easy, but you will always make it through.

Linda said...

Just awesome, Dawn, one of your best posts I think. I hope things stabilize and get on an even keel soon.. however after reading the second post, it is clear you are very strong, have a wonderful attitude and outlook on life and will get through whatever life throws at you....keep up the wonderful work, you are a great role model to so many.
Linda

Sherry said...

Dawn, your continued positive attitude is amazing. I try to stay up beat, but it is easy to let things get us down. Thanks for sharing. Still praying 2011 will be a wonderful, blessed year for you!

Denise said...

<3 My new favorite post <3

Anonymous said...

Dawn... You have an amazing outlook on life. I hope you'll continue to look at the 2nd story, to just keep one foot ahead of the other! I know..sometimes, life does drag us down..but you're right, God def. has a plan for everything we go through, even the bad times.

Jennie said...

Your positivity through such adversity is admirable and inspirational. :) You should become a motivational speaker.

Just me. said...

You are amazing. Please know that you are an inspiration to others....that even thru the worst of it all, you can find another side to it and be grateful. Thank you!!

Kathy said...

Your closing remark was beautiful, Dawn. Too often I tend to look at the negative. I'll remember that next time my mind starts to wander there. Thanks for the reminder.

Janice said...

The mold could be the answer to your sons issues. Seriously, google mold, depression, hair falling out. Mold is toxic and can do a serious number on you. If nothing comes back on the thyroid, I'd suspect the mold. Any headaches?

Robin said...

I love that even in the midst of all the crap, you can still find the positive. One day you and the kids are going to look back at this time and laugh about it. Great things are coming your way! And when they do, this will just be a memory.
Love & hugs sent your way ~

Anonymous said...

You're so very blessed. God loves you so much to jump in and help you get each problem fixed. You must be one of His favorites. :o)

After my ex husband left, I had one catastrophe after another. For a long time. A little too long. lol But I also got what I consider one miracle after another. I am 110% positive that God jumped in to help with each problem. I spent years of worry and stress. Now I just shrug my shoulders and say "Oh well, no biggie, God will help me." And he always does. Total faith in God is cool. You'll get to that point. It sounds like you're on your way already.
Jean

Nicole said...

I agree with a person who commented at the beginning. If it is a thyriod problem, I would suggest getting the rest of your kids checked. I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism when I was 13, (I'm 28 now) and within the last year both of my brothers (26 and 21) and my sister (29) were diagnosed with the same thing.

I will be keeping you and your family in my prayers. You are alot braver than I am. Loves.

Anonymous said...

Its a definite case of a glass being half full or half empty.

I can feel for you and especially as last year was disasterous for me too. Firstly, my business (retail) went under leaving me with horrendeous debts. So bad that I was getting constant phone calls and threatening letters, so much that I didnt know where to turn.

Then my mother who has been in a nursing home with Alzeheimers disease took a turn for the worst and died just before Christmas.
If that wasnt bad enough, the day of her funeral it snowed heavily and the journey to the town where the service was taking place took 6and half hours instead of 40 minutes. Yes, I missed the actual funeral - you can imagine how I felt. At least we managed to get to the cemetary (after the burial) where my Priest son did another small service around the graveside. Many of the people who wanted to attend also had to turn back due to the snow.

Meanwhile the debts were mounting and the bank just adding on charges all the time.

On the plus side - my mother was very ill, a Christian and I am sure she is now at peace with God. We didnt have a car accident in the snow and stayed overnight with my sister, so were not stranded outside either.

I have come into a modest inheritance and this has helped to sort out my debt problems. And the fact that I no longer 'go out to work' means I have more time to do what I want in life.

In all this my faith in God stood strong - ok I was cross with Him about the snow! And we have decided on a Memorial service for mum in the Spring and have it as a celebration of her life, and invite all her friends etc.

Luckily I have the support of a good husband and son, and many friends to help me. But yes, there have been days when I have felt like just staying in bed, or else have wasted hours just playing games on the PC.

Keep strong and thinking positive - you will come through all this.

Kris Roach said...

I love how you are able to put the positive slant on each of these things...that is such a blessing! They say life is 10% about what happens to you and 90% about how you respond...You, my dear, are making something positive out of all of this and that is no little task~!! Seriously, i agree with you, God is preparing you for something big...He does not send the problems, he sends the solutions. We know who sends the problems and I say, you must be about to do something really amazing and this is all going to prepare you for your new lot in life!!! God bless you and your wonderful children...

Kris Roach said...

P.S. In the midst of all of that stuff...your blog won the contest!!!

Kitchen-Dreams said...

I am speechless. Even with the positive spin on this chain of events it always amazes me when one family has to deal with so many hard things.

sasha said...

Hi Dawn I wish I could afford to send you loads of money unfortuantely I have yet to win the lottery :) however I did just order both your books and I look forward to getting and reading them.. Every little bit helps right?? Anyways keep your head up...Sasha

beth said...

Just wanted to let you know that I prayed for you this morning.

Carla said...

I realize I'm the 71st comment on this post, but it was so inspiring I just had to say something--even if it's all been said 70 times already. Thank you for posting! This really is beautiful and such a great reminder to cultivate a healthy attitude. I'm praying for you and your family!

~Carla
carla-jansen.blogspot.com

Kimberly said...

I just want to give you a really big hug. What a way to look at life. Finding the positive in all that you've been through this year really shows the kind of quality amazing person you must be.

So here's a high five and a hug!

Jennifer Foster said...

What a difference! I *heart* you, Dawn :-)

Your friend,
Funjenny

Michelle Morgan-Coole said...

And that, right there, I think, is why you deserve the title of Renaisance Man, I mean Mom.

Who's Visiting My Blog Right Now?

 
Home About Dawn Blog Books News & Events Press Kit Contact

Dawn Meehan 2008-. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design by Jones House Creative