Monday, January 10, 2011

Sunday Sound Out

From Chicago, where ROUSs run rampant, it's your host, the woman who survived the fire swamp, Dawn Meehan.

And now, here are the answers to this week's questions.

From someone in the UK - whats a caboodle?
It's a combination of a cat and a poodle.

As for the unidentifiable goop - is being able to deal with that something that comes with being a mum?
I suppose. However, I missed that lesson because I can handle unidentifiable goop about as well as I can handle puke. That's why Lexi opened the container outside, far away from me. Oddly enough, however, the pictures my doctor took of my guts while doing surgery don't bother me at all.

So sorry you couldn't see Jackson. That does stink!!! Praying for your family. How is Austin doing?
There are good days and bad days. I know that the kids aren't going to be instantly "cured" from spending a few weeks in the hospital. I know this. But I still wish it worked that way. I wish I could just put a bandaid on them, kiss them, and make it all better. But alas, it doesn't work that way. We have a long road ahead of us.

Dawn, you write your blog because it makes you feel good. People send you generous monetary gifts because it makes them feel good to do so. If you don't accept them, the good feelings only flow in one direction. You don't want to be the "fun-sucker" stopping up the good feelings flow do you?
The fun-sucker? I don't want to be the fun-sucker!!! Honestly, I never really thought about it like that, but it makes sense. It would make me feel bad if someone rejected my gift. Thank you, guys, for putting it in perspective. (I'd still rather be on the giving side though!)

Actually, there's something you all could do for me. You could buy my new book. It's really not just for pregnant women. Anyone who has ever given birth will be able to relate to the stories and find something to laugh about in this book. If you could use a lighthearted, easy, fun read, get a copy for yourself or for your sister, girlfriend, mom, aunt, or anyone else who could use a little entertainment. I really think you'll enjoy it. Does anyone who has already read the book want to back me up on this? Anyway, you can get a copy HERE if you're so inclined. :)
Thank you!

Is the thin part of the petal at the top of the rose or on the bottom of the rose?
Put the thin part of the petal at the top of the rose. The thicker part makes up the body of the rose, and the thinner part is the tip of the petal.

Thanks for the how-to. You have such a beautiful voice... it was nice to just listen to you speak.
This absolutely floors me because I hate my voice! HATE it! I literally cringe when I hear myself in videos. It's like nails on a chalkboard.

Awesome tutorial Dawn! I love that you can use chocolate melts!! What was that stuff you mixed in?
1/3 cup of corn syrup and some pink icing color

Thanks for taking the time to do this. I am guessing you can use this same technique to make figures for kids' cakes, right? I'm not a fan of fondant and I think I could have more control with this than strictly figure piping.
I don't see why not. I generally use fondant, but I think you could use the candy clay to sculpt figures. Or you could, you know, just eat it. That's what my kids do. Sometimes they smash it into the couches or the carpet too.

You have great hair. Yes that is what I got out of this video a love for your hair.
(That's just because you can't see the gray.) It's Suave! I really think Suave should hire me as their spokesperson. I love the stuff!

Can you use any sort of white chocolate? I don't know what "candy melts" are :รพ
I honestly don't know. Give it a try and see. Candy Melts and other brands of chocolate specifically used for candy making work well.

And same method for marzipan roses?
Sure! I haven't made marzipan in years! :::making a mental note to do a lesson on marzipan:::

I'm not sure if we can even get corn syrup in Australia, think I've seen glucose syrup in the supermakrets would this do if we can't get corn syrup?
Maybe you could use Vegemite. Kidding! Just kidding! Actually, someone else answered this one in the comments, thankfully because I had no idea. I've never even heard of glucose syrup. (Yes, they seem to be interchangeable.)

Thanks so much for making and posting this video! You should have your own show! I could listen to you talk all day.
Interesting. My kids don't listen to a word I say all day.

I took cake decorating classes at Michaels several years ago and never did master the buttercream rose. Where did you learn this technique? This way is much easier and looks more fun! Thanks again!
Yeah, my buttercream roses look like roadkill. About 15 years ago, I took some cake decorating lessons as continuing education classes at a local college. For anyone new to my blog, I have a handful of cake pictures on my website
HERE.

7 comments:

V1nce said...

Vote me in for marzipan being my vegemite. I cannot stand that stuff. UGH! It's not like kryptonite, more like limburger cheese. Actually I'd rather eat my sock after wearing it for 37 days than to eat marzipan. *shudder*

hurp... omg... ugh...

PS. As always luv the blog!
PPS. Marzipan sucks. Seriously. Hurp... ack ... huuurp...

Frau Mahlzahn said...

Hi Dawn,

just ordered your book!

Thanks for this blog, and thanks for making us laugh.

Sending good thoughts your direction!

So long,
Corinna

Jen@Scrapingirl said...

A cat and a poodle!!!! HAHA!!! I nearly choked on my chocolate oatmeal, when I read that. I love your blog. I was debating on buying your new book for my SIL, but since I don't like her and she's quite annoying, I'm not spending my money on her. :) But I think I'll buy it for myself. So if ever you're not in the blogging mood, I can still have a piece of you to make me smile. :)

Tiff said...

Wow, I thought rodents of unusual size only ran rampant in New York. Thanks for teaching me something new!!

Anonymous said...

I'll vouch for your books! I really enjoyed both of them. Two thumbs up.

Rachel said...

OMG Dawn (freaken) Meehan used my (freaken) question in her (freaken) blog....I am way to excited about this! Your like a (freaken) celebrity!
And yes I will forward my (freaken) address upon your request so your sure its correct in the restraining order...omg I love your blog! And I am heading to cvs tomorrow to buy me some suave.

V1nce said...

Is it acceptable to buy your book and give it to my brother who has a very large belly and looks like he's gonna need it soon?

My birthday is in a few days and if his present sucks I want to get it for him for his birthday in June.

Last birthday I got a pair of stupid boxers and a Ferris Bueller's Day off t-shirt...

Who's Visiting My Blog Right Now?

 
Home About Dawn Blog Books News & Events Press Kit Contact

Dawn Meehan 2008-. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design by Jones House Creative