Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Meet the Artists

It seems that every time I get down, something happens to bring me right back up. Either my kids will do or say something that just cracks me up, or I'll get a supportive email, or a card filled with encouraging words. Over the next few weeks, I'd really like to highlight some of the people who have gone out of their way to encourage me. There are several hundreds of you out there and I appreciate every single gesture of support from every single one of you!

Here are just a couple highlights from the past few days.


My kids just started the second semester in high school. Their schedules were completely changed around and they have several new teachers now. Austin's art teacher asked the kids, "Let me know if you have any nicknames you'd like to be called."

Austin, completely straight-faced and serious, said, "My name is Paco, P - A - C - O," he spelled it out.

His friends, of course, all cracked up. The teacher looked up from where she was writing Austin's nickname and said, "Obviously, that isn't your name or your friends wouldn't be laughing."

Austin insisted that Paco was his middle name and his friends were laughing just because they'd never asked and didn't know his middle name.

So, my son, Paco, is taking art this semester. I can't wait to see the projects he comes home with. I hope his teacher never has to call me about Paco because I don't think I could keep a straight face while discussing Paco's performance.


And, the other day, I got this absolutely beautiful piece of jewelry in the mail.




It says, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." I LOVE that verse and have been repeating it to myself often lately. This absolutely gorgeous necklace was made by Patricia Kimle. She has a site, Precious Text, where she makes the most awesome, unique, hand-crafted jewelry with meaning. In fact, I reviewed her jewelry HERE a couple years ago. I can't even count how many compliments I've gotten on this fine art/necklace the last few days.

Please take a look at her site. She's so artistically talented. I know you'll be as impressed with her work as I am! Thank you, Patricia, for thinking of me and for sending me this most beautiful reminder of God's love! And thank you for making such awesome jewelry!

7 comments:

V1nce said...

Paco is hilarious! You must be proud. It's hard raising a multi-ethnic family but it's worth it, especially on taco night. Happy Cinco da Mayonnaise Paco!

Rachel said...

Sophomore year of college I was taking a biology lab. The prof was asking if people preferred to be called something else to let her know as she read the roll for the first time. I said to the person next to me, 'does that mean she'd call me Fred?' The friend laughed but when the prof read, 'Rachel ***' I said here and she wrote down Fred. I handed in every assignment under the Fred that semester. Some teachers are just good sports. Hope this is one of them!

Ninja Mommers said...

You are amazing! Such an inspiration! What a fantastic blog to follow.

Our Unique Family said...

Gotta love Paco!! My oldest is a freshman in high school and just started a new semester also. It feels like a new school year all over again! My oldest and your oldest sound alot like! Gotta love crazy teenage boys!! :) Love reading your blog!

Anonymous said...

Dawn,
I didn't expect to see my work on your blog, but thanks very much for the kind words and the link! I am praying for you and your family to have better times ahead.
Patti

Mazzi said...

I love your jewellery. I read that scripture myself tonight to my 5 year old daughter. How wonderful we can rely on His strength! Praying for you and your family xxx

Unknown said...

Thanks for the link to Patricia's website... this will be the prefect mother's day gift for my mom!!!!!

Who's Visiting My Blog Right Now?

 
Home About Dawn Blog Books News & Events Press Kit Contact

Dawn Meehan 2008-. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design by Jones House Creative