Thursday, January 20, 2011

Sunday Sound Out

From Chicago, where nine out of ten dentists recommend you read Because I Said So, it's your host, the woman who's hunting down that tenth dentist, Dawn Meehan.

Quick question for Sunday sound out- where is your blog about carline? Would love to share it on facebook!
You can read the post about the Kiss 'n Drive
HERE.

HAHA!!! I nearly choked on my chocolate oatmeal, when I read that.
Let me get this straight. Chocolate? Oatmeal? They make chocolate oatmeal??? Oh yum! I have got to find me some of this!

Is it acceptable to buy your book and give it to my brother who has a very large belly and looks like he's gonna need it soon?
Absolutely! And it'll go over even better if you accompany it with a "Baby Under Construction" t-shirt!


Have you considered a giant stapler?
I cannot, for the life of me, remember what this was in regards to. But I have considered giant staplers in the past (mainly for sewing purposes). The reason I declined, however, was because Brooklyn ate some staples a couple years ago. I had to dig through her poop to make sure they passed okay. I think, had they been giant staples, it wouldn't have turned out so well. Yeah, she gave new meaning to the term "stomach stapling".

Have you thought about giving her [Brooklyn] a Kate (as in Kate plus 8) type hairdo? ...practically shaved in the back and a little length in the front so people know she's a girl?
Uh no. No way. Have you seen her hair?

It's too prettiful to cut. I'd rather smear peanut butter in her hair every day.

Just curious how you do get the gum out?

Peanut butter: it's not just for sandwiches

Maybe more e-bay auctions?? lol

Hmmm, I still have the original pack of Pokemon cards. The winner of that auction said she didn't really want the cards so they've been sitting on a shelf above my desk for years.

Your ex should be put in jail for abandonment and neglect. And stupidity.

Don't forget the contempt of court and the DUIs.

Would he be willing to auction off the drawing? That's really cool and I'd love to have it on my wall!
Actually, we're in the process of making some prints of Jackson's drawing. Jackson is choosing a charity to donate any proceeds to. He's really excited about the project!


Dawn: all you ever have to do to show your thanks is posting that Wii dancing video.
Tell ya what, just imagine watching a very steamy sex scene on TV with your parents in the room. Now imagine something about 20 times more awkward. Yeah, that's me dancing.

OMG I'm still chuckling over the "sucks to be you comment" that you're sure was the only thing Clay heard. Did he pick up on it or did you get lucky?

I can't even count how many times Clay has graced us with his newfound catchphrase. My friend Eric was over to watch the Bears game earlier and spilled some wine when Brooklyn and Lexi jumped on him. Clay looked at him and said, matter-of-factly, "Sucks to be you."

How do you spend time with your teenager? My almost 16y/o seems to be the one that gets lost in the shuffle at my house because he is so independent and requires less from me.

You're right. It becomes harder as they get older because you don't read them bedtime stories or help them brush their teeth or help them with their homework anymore. Plus, teens would rather hang out with their friends than with Mom and Dad, which is normal. But I still insist on spending time together as a family and taking little trips and doing things together. I also try to sneak in those little moments that don't seem like much at the time, but I think they add up in the long run. For example, Savannah talks about her friends and stuff that happened during the day when she first comes home from school. She also loves to come with me when I have to run errands which gives us time to talk and hang out. Austin and I chat after the little kids go to bed oftentimes. I'm trying to make an effort to play more games with the kids in the evening because that always includes conversation and laughter. Unless it's Monopoly. I've been known to take that game a little too seriously. So I've been told. It's not my fault, I'm awesome at Monopoly. And both Austin and Savannah love to watch movies with me after the littles go to bed. I know it's not time spent in conversation, but it's still time together. And you can always, always, find me on the sidelines of their baseball, softball, hockey, football, etc. games.

SSO question: I bought your book from Borders instead of Amazon (because I'm like a special super shopper there and I got a discount). You still get credit, right?
I've had a ton of questions like this. Okay, here's a very simplified version of how it works. When a publisher agrees to buy and publish an author's book, the contract will state how much money (royalties) an author will make on each book. Let's pretend it's $1 a book. The publisher will give the author an advance against royalties. So, let's say the publisher gives the author a $500 advance. At $1 a book, 500 books have to sell before the author starts seeing any royalties. I don't personally care where people get my book; I'm just thrilled that you want to get it! If you like it, please tell someone about it. If you don't like it, then it wasn't really me who wrote it. It was my sister.

And is this a book I can give to a first-time mom and not scare the crap out of her or should I keep it for myself?
Uh yeah, you might want to hold onto it for yourself and give it to the first-time mom after she's given birth.

Now a suggestion. Why in the world don't you have Blogher ads on your site? Its my understanding you can make some serious money if you are a widely read blogger such as you are.

I did have BlogHer ads. I made a whopping $100-$150 a month. Still, every little bit helps, right? But BlogHer ads have some restrictive policies and because of those, I would have had to turn down some higher paying writing jobs, so I dropped the BlogHer ads. At this point, I need to have my blog header redesigned so that ads show up "above the fold". For some reason, the ad people think that no one will scroll down to see the ads even though they have to scroll down to see any and all content on my blog. Apparently they think people are too stupid and/or lazy to scroll down and if the content isn't at the top, the minute they open a page, then they'll just click on by without reading a thing.

Why can't you get money from your blog? There are many less deserving bloggers making a ton of money from their blogs. Why don't you take on some ads?
I'm not exactly turning down dozens of advertising offers a day. Do you know how many companies have asked to advertise on my blog? None.

How are the boys doing?
Austin has good days and bad, but I believe I'm seeing more good than bad lately. :) Jackson, on the other hand, is still in the hospital and going through some major medication changes.

Again, I really can't find words to thank you enough for all your kindness. I'm blown away by this amazing community here! Nothing I can say adequately expresses my gratitude. Every day, I get more cards, emails, and comments of encouragement and support.

I admit, I spent two days in bed this past week. I let myself slip into despair. I felt sorry for myself and had a hard time finding the will to get up and go on with my day. But thankfully (with much help from my kids and you guys), I snapped out of it. Despite all the crap happening, I have many more blessings than crappishness (it's a word, trust me). I still believe everything's going to work out okay.

Besides, the only thing that staying in bed and ignoring the world did, was give me a LOT of work to catch up on! It didn't change the situation. It didn't make anything better. I really hate this saying - When life give you lemons, make lemonade. I feel like slapping people when they say this. BUT, it's true. No matter what your situation is, you can choose to say, "Oh woah is me. Life is so unfair. Whine, whine, whine." OR you can say, "Well, that sucks, but I've still got my health and my friends and a roof above my head and God at my side. It's gonna be okay!"

I'd personally rather smile and laugh and enjoy what I DO have than to cry over what I DON'T have.

23 comments:

V1nce said...

I love the comment "if you don't like me book my sister wrote it." When I used to write articles on the web my tagline was "Warning: all hate mail will be sent to my neighbor. In triplicate."

Mandy said...

Hi Dawn,
I wanted to let you know that because of your blog, "Kiss N' Drive", we now have a new rule for when I pick up my grandchildren from school. It's what I call the 'Zip it till you click it rule'. Nobody can talk, until they buckle up. This became necessary when the three of them, ages 4, 6, and 7, would stop after entering the van and tell me all their many school day happenings, what they want for a snack, what they want to do when they get home, or settle a dispute that started in the pick-up line. One day the first grader handed me a note when she entered the van. It read, "Hey granny I now that to gockle befor I take and I want to now how is Emilys noos is it ar rate." After she buckled up, I handed it back to her to decipher it for me. This is what she read. Hey Granny, I know that to buckle before I talk and I want to know how is Emily's nose. Is it alright? (Emily's nose was broken) I thought I might give you a chuckle, since you've given me so many.
I'm still praying for peace in your heart and in your home, and good days ahead for you!
Mandy

FrauKatz said...

My aunt once modified the Lemons-Aphorism: „When life gives you lemons, take them and throw them at everything that gives you a hard time.“
Obviously she thought just making lemonade was much too tame. ;-)

Aside from that I just wanted to tell you, that I'm very happy about every posting from you. In my childhood I experienced a very similar situation, just without any siblings. I would have been so glad if my mother would have had(grammar?) half the strength you have.

That doesn't mean that you have to be strong 24/7, but that you're just trying to do the best you can in this, excuse me, crappy situation.

Best wishes!

Kathleen said...

Right on Dawn. You could whine that you are standing in mud up to your ankles in the rain and forget to look up and see the blessings God has for you - a "double rainbow" in the sky. Romans 8:28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

Keri Jackson said...

Don't know if this helps or not, and I can't say it as well as out pastor but, our sermon yesterday was about how temporary this life is. The average person only lives 25,500 days and each day is a gift from God. Life is worth fighting for, and to be enjoyed to its fullest. I decided that I would do a better job and each morning before I get out of bed say a prayer of thanks for this day and all the things that He has given me. I know you are having a difficult time right now, and can't imagine how I would cope if I was in your position, but I pray that you will get thru this soon!

Tess Julia said...

I'm actually new to blogging in general, and new to your blog period, but despite all your trials you are still very funny! I want to buy your book, so as soon as we get paid this week I will! I can't imagine walking in your shoes- I get overwhelmed with two kids and a helpful husband. I wish there were something profound I could say to make things better for you, but best of wishes in the success of your book.

KarenKal said...

Hi Dawn,
Do you know how many books you have sold? I just bought your book 2 weeks ago on Amazon. Please don't stop writing.

Mommy to three said...

I hope Jackson is doing better soon and that when he comes home from the hospital it is to stay. I have no words of wisdom to offer you, I just want you to know you and your children are still in my prayers.

Michelle Kemper Brownlow said...

This is where I tell you how AMAZING you are and how blessed I feel that you are my friend!

You are doing an amazing job with your kiddos and God is using your life to strengthen the moms out there that have no where to turn.

You are my hero!
Love to you!

Mollymom said...

Ohmigosh! Her hair IS beautiful!!! Don't ever give her a Kate-cut!

Chris said...

Wonderful Sunday Sound-out Dawn. Keep writing-we love it!! Chris in PA

Tammy said...

Advice from a born-and-bred Packers fan: Clay should have waited until the END of the game, and THEN shouted, "Sucks to be you!" LOL

Seriously, thank you for sharing. I'm sorry to hear you spent a couple days in bed, but I've been there. But I'm so glad you overcame the funk and are feeling better. :0)

MPMommy said...

Just wanted to say forget about the people who are sending you hate mail about doing something girly with your girls! You all deserve a break sometime. Secondly, I bought your book and read it cover-to-cover in less than 24 hours. Oh man, it was good! You made me laugh over and over again -- my husband kept looking at me funny. Thanks so much for the laughs and I hope there's a 3rd book in your future.

Rachel said...

Awesome post Dawn! I agree with the last paragraph but sometimes its so hard to actually do. Keep on keeping on!

MPMommy said...

I forgot to tell you -- the chocolate oatmeal is by BetterOats and they're in these cool little boxes. There's lots of wonderful flavors -- my girls love the strawberry, blueberry, and cinnamon. Their site is betteroats.com and Amazon has them, but don't buy it there! WAY overpriced. I've found it for $1 a box at the grocery store, next to all the standard Quaker stuff. Yum!

Tiff said...

I always thought the saying went, "When life gives you lemons, ask for tequila and salt." Lemonade will just make a sticky mess when the kids spill it on the kitchen floor. :)

Donna. W said...

Dawn, I get a lot of traffic from your blog because Blogger backlinks from your entries to people who link to you on their blogs. I love getting such traffic; however, if you'd rather your entries did not show the backlinks, there's a way to stop that (I hope you don't, but thought you should know). Most people who continue to gain a larger audience move to Wordpress instead of Blogger, I've noticed. I'm not sure why.

Robin said...

Glad to read you were able to pull yourself up and out of that bed. Sometimes it's just what we need...but never for too long. Thank you for keeping us posted on how things are going!!
Still thinking about you and the family. :)

Anonymous said...

That was a WONDERFUL and timely 1,000th post. I've been down in the dumps for the last week or so and you've once again reminded me to look at the good in my life and move on.

Angela
(my google account won't let me sign in, blast!)

Anonymous said...

Regarding the ads and making money with revenue. The layout is a little too confusing. Everything is too spread out over different domains. You have becauseisaidso.com and dawnmeehan.com and the blog on blogger. If you put everything on one domain, your traffic would go way up and gain the attention of more advertisers. You can spread everything out on one domain, and include Google Adsense ads. You can have three Adsense ads on each page-two regular ones and one graphic (like a video). Everything is scrunched up in the middle of the blog. You'd have more room if all your info was on one site, with tabs for different pages and a wider page layout for your blog. I hope you don't think I'm being forward. I just want to see you make a good income doing what you love. You are a very talented writer. I love your blog and have been reading it since the Pokemon auction. I try to find where the revenue ads are so I can click on them, but I'm not sure if you have any. I'll be making a donation to the Hope Fund in a couple of weeks when I do the monthly bookkeeping for the business. I want to see you prosper. Single mothers need to stick together and support each other. I was where you are. It will get better. It just takes time.
Jean

Ingrid said...

When life gives you lemons, then keep them, because hey, free lemons:)
And Brooklyn's hair is sooo beautiful! Wish I had hair like that...

Esther said...

I am so glad you had a couple of duvet days. I know it is darn near impossible with six kids (I have five) to achieve them, but I honestly think when it's a choice between a nervous breakdown and a couple of reeeeeally bad days...... choose the bad days!!

I really hope it gave you a boost and renewed perspective to carry on.


And the giant stapler was a suggestion with regards to Clay losing his coat all the time.

Please don't report me, I've never tried it myself. Honest.

Kris Roach said...

Brooklyn has absolutely GORGEOUS hair, and peanut butter is definitely a better option than an ugly KATE haircut. I am not saying that Kate is ugly, but don't care for her haircut....Brooklyn is absolutely beautiful...you could make a mint using her as a child model!!!

Who's Visiting My Blog Right Now?

 
Home About Dawn Blog Books News & Events Press Kit Contact

Dawn Meehan 2008-. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design by Jones House Creative