Monday, September 13, 2010

Sunday Sound Out

From Chicago, the city made entirely of lime Jell-O, it's time for Sunday Sound Out with your host, the woman who is totally caught up. Well mostly caught. She's a little caught up. Okay, she still has a metric buttload of work to do, but she's got a list and a handle on things and a place to start now, Dawn Meehan! Now, without further ado, here are the answers to this week's questions...

Where have you been? I miss my daily dose of Dawn

Would you believe I've been on an Arctic exploration? Yeah, I didn't think so. I've just been trying to find my groove now that the kids are back in school. I'm just a little busier these days. And I'm still working on my manuscript. By the time I put that away for the night, I'm too tired to blog. But I'll have that finished soon and should be back to regular blogging next week.

Just noticed from the photo of the children by the tree that you have neighbours!I dont know why but I sort of got the idea that you lived in some sort of isolation - you know - away from 'normal' folk LOL!Seriously though, have you ever had any problems with neighbours poking their noses into your lively brood?

LOL! I don't know any towns in or around Chicago that have houses in isolation. Although, I wouldn't exactly call my neighbors "normal". Except for my neighbor, Laura. You're totally normal despite your penchant for calling 9-1-1, Laura! The rest of them, however...

I'm pretty sure I'll drive home one day and see news crews lining my street. As I get out of my car, a reporter will thrust a microphone in my face and ask me what I thought of my next door neighbor.

I'll answer, "I dunno. He was quiet. Kept to himself. Didn't see him outside much. Why? What happened?"

"Oh, investigators just discovered thirty bodies buried in his backyard."

And I'll exclaim, "I knew it! I thought he spent a little too much time with that chipper."

Gosh, I hope he doesn't read my blog. If you don't hear from me for a day or two, you know what to do, Laura!

Do you have any tips with getting a three year old out of diapers? Every time I even mention it I get a really loud "NO!" and he runs away from me. He won't even sit on either of the potty seats we bought, let alone the regular one. I'm thinking about just stopping buying diapers and dealing with the accidents. I think after a few days of all that yuck, he'll sit on the potty seat. At least, that is what I'm hoping.

Ever since signing on as a member of the Nite Lite Panel with Goodnites diapers, I’ve answered a ton of questions on potty training issues.  Most of the questions pertain to nighttime wetting, but I’ve had a fair amount on toilet training in general as well.  This is something I feel pretty strongly about now.  I absolutely believe that kids will potty train when they’re ready.  I pushed the issue of potty training with my first child.  He wasn’t ready.  It took years.  It was not a pleasant experience for either of us.

After that, I learned.  I let all five of my other kids take the lead in potty training.  They all trained at different ages.  Some were barely two, others were four.  But the thing they all had in common was that they instigated it when they were ready and because I let them set the pace, they all trained in a matter of a few days.

Now, I understand that sometimes you need to get a child out of diapers in order to attend daycare or preschool.  But, whenever possible, I really think it’s preferable to let your child decide when they’re ready.  Sure, you can get a little potty chair, ask them if they’d like to use the toilet, but if they say, “no”, just drop the matter for a while.  It’s no big deal.  I promise you, they won’t go off to college in diapers.  Relax.  It’ll happen when they’re ready.

And if you want to read more about nighttime wetting, please visit Goodnites.com which has articles from me and other experts in the field, along with helpful tips, coping techniques, and copious information about bedwetting.  It’s a great resource!

Sacking the quarterback is more than tackling the guy with the ball -- he has to end up a few yards behind where he started. One step forward then twelve steps back -- he shoulda quit while he was ahead.

I'm sorry, I don't speak Chinese.

Eww. Did you throw it [mac-n-cheese soup] out?

Heck no! Are you nuts? I just drained it and added a little butter. It may not have been "the cheesiest" anymore, but the kids still ate it.

Whoa, whoa, whoa.... a new book, a great friend and some liquid motivation is great but let's not loose focus on what's truly important... coconut coffee?!?!? Canada does not have such a thing. Can it be mailed? (hint hint) ;)Seriously, though... awesome work on the manuscript. And you don't have to explain your MIA... I can't speak for everyone but we'll be here no matter what, waiting patiently. Mind you, some of us will be waiting without coconut coffee.

What, no coconut coffee??? Now that's just wrong. And here I was all set to move to Canada what with your healthcare and how everything's written in English and French and, of course, your bacon. But now that I know you don't have Dunkin' Donuts coconut coffee, I'm gonna have to rethink my plan.

That's awesome you have such a great friend.Now did Eric and his speed boat also clean your house?That's the kind of friend I need,lol.And they still need to bring coffee and donuts.

Clean my house? I don't think so, but in the past year and a half he's met me at Ikea to load heavy stuff in my car, cut down Austin's super-high loft bed to make it a regular bed, fixed my bathroom window, fixed a window screen, put new locks on my doors, lent me his pressure washer, edged my driveway and sidewalks, made us dinner, went with me to get my firepit since I was too wimpy and weak to lift it, given my kids a tour of the fire station where he works, given me directions more times than I can count, fixed my kids' bikes, accompanied me to a doctor's appointment, listened to me whine about divorce stuff a million different times, walked me through every step of the way the first time I took the L, taken my kids to the movies along with his kids, drove halfway across the world to rescue me when my car died (twice), drove me to the train station, fixed my disgusting clogged and backed-up kitchen sink, and at least a couple dozen other things I'm not thinking of right now. He's a good guy.

Is Eric single???!!!

Almost. He's in the middle of the worst divorce I've ever heard of. Why? Are you interested? He should be free from the queen of darkness soon. I went to high school with Eric and can tell you he's the awesomest!

If you find yourself in this "pull the covers over my head" funk much longer, please have you family doc check you out. What you are describing is often a sign of clinical depression.

Nah, I'm not depressed. Just freaking busy! Seriously, I get 4-5 hours of sleep most nights. I mean, thank you for your concern and for taking the time to leave a comment, but try running with my schedule for a couple weeks and see how tired and overwhelmed you feel now and then. It happens. Thankfully, I got a lot done this weekend and feel much better about where I stand.

do you know, since you've been divorced you've gotten prettier and prettier in your pics, its good for you, huh?

Nah, it's just smoke and mirrors. And lightning. And flattering angles. And my makeup artist and wardrobe coordinator. And the post-production team of airbrush artists.

So I signed up for emails a long time ago (before the first book came out)...I just double checked, and when I fill out the information it and submit it tells me that I am already signed up, but I have never received a newsletter... :(

:::hanging my head in shame::: I know. You haven't gotten one because I've never sent one out. But my first one will be going out before the end of the month, and I'll be doing regular newsletters from now on. It's not too late to sign up! I'm giving away a spa package and sharing some fun book news with subscribers in this newsletter. To sign up, just scroll down my blog until you get to the blue box in the left column that reads, "Get Updates and Book News from Dawn". Fill in your email address and you'll get a copy of my newsletter in the next few days. :)

10 comments:

V1nce said...

Dearest Dawn, could you please stop doing the Sunday Shout Outs the same day every time? I keep forgetting when it is and miss asking something clever *sniff*

I need a calendar.

Sila Lumenn said...

Dawn, I don't know how you do it all, but you are an amazing mom. I think you should ask for an all day nap for your birthday. :-)

Your tale of the macaroni & cheese "soup" made me remember an actual recipe for mac & cheese soup anyone, even the kids, can make. This link will take you to the Mr. Food website and you'll have to close an irritating pop "down" window in order to read it, but it will be worth the effort:
http://www.mrfood.com/Soup-Recipes/Macaroni-and-Cheese-Soup-From-Mr-Food#

Robin said...

Don't hang your head in shame! :) You're a busy mom...you know the rest of that pep talk! I'm just glad I didn't miss a newsletter. I had signed up too but hadn't received one yet. I'll wait patiently..... *tapping my foot here*...... :)

Jen said...

Love the blog, Just Keep Swimming!!

Jen
www.monogrammedeverything.com

Missi said...

The "queen of darkness" must be insane to divorce such an awesome sounding guy. Great friends like Eric are a blessing. I'm sure you are there for him as much as he's been for you.

Christine said...

And I thought I was busy...I just have to come over here and realize I don't have anything to complain about.

I'm glad you have a good friend(s) to help when you need it. I'm sure that makes all the difference!

My friends and I were just having a discusion how as women we beat ourselves up for all the things we aren't doing well enough or not at all. It's so hard to see that there is so much that we are doing good. Sometimes survival is good enough too. Why when someone points out something we do well we say "Yeah but...I really need to work on ____.

So I'll pat you on the back for doing the best you can and just hanging in there!

bearhugg said...

Dawn you flatter me way too much and, as I'm sure your readers will atest, don't give yourself half the credit that is your due. Missi you are correct on both counts; The 'queen of darkness' is insane and Dawn has rescued me from the dark side, of which she has her own to contend with, so many times she is member of the frequent flyer club. We often joke about playing match maker to our respective queen and king of darkness with the hope that the evil monarchy will extinguish itself ;)

And by the way Dawn, you are the awesome one. You deserve to smile every day. If I can make that happen every now and then, I've paid a little back. Thanks for being such a great friend!

Carrie said...

thanks for the newsletter clarification. i was wondering the same thing - if i needed to re-sign up. i knew you said you hadn't sent a newsletter yet, but the last time you mentioned it, it kinda sounded like maybe you HAD! so i'll just be patient. :)

DeeAnne said...

My favorite coffee is Island Coconut made by Green Mountain. The stuff is so much like crack that I buy it in bulk because it is seasonal.... It IS available in Canada. I buy it from there from time to time.

Laura ~Peach~ said...

i always wondered why i was not getting a newsletter LMAO now i know :) hang in there and yeah eric sounds like a great guy!

Who's Visiting My Blog Right Now?

 
Home About Dawn Blog Books News & Events Press Kit Contact

Dawn Meehan 2008-. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design by Jones House Creative