Sunday, May 17, 2009

Sunday Sound Out

From Chicago, where we have no problem spelling or pronouncing Des Plaines, it's Sunday Sound Out with Dawn Meehan! Tonight: answers to your questions and musical guests the Proclaimers! And now, the woman single handedly responsible for getting the Blackhawks to the Western Conference Finals, it's Dawn Meehan!

And now, it's time for viewer mail...


Just curious -- why would your parents, grandma and sister makes plans to get together that didn't include YOU?
I know right?! It's either A: they figured I'd be doing something with my family and didn't bother to ask. Or B: they didn't want me and my loony kids running all around their house. I'm going with "B".

Are you going to BlogHer??
Yes! Procrastination pays off again! I put off registering for BlogHer and missed out on tickets and was put on a 50 mile long waiting list. This weekend I was one of the lucky ones who was able to get a ticket though. Yipee!
Do you think this is where Austin learned all about procrastination? He put off his social studies project until the night before and managed to get an A on the thing! Ugh! How are we ever going to learn our lesson about procrastination when things keep working out for us?

I'm so craving a Chicago hotdog! I know Portillo's delivers via mail but it is too freaking expensive!
I was just thinking about Portillos earlier today because I wrote a post about fun hairdos from Suave and I mentioned celebrity stylist Luke O'Connor in the post. He was telling me how much he loves Portillos as he did my hair in Beverly Hills. LOL! You can stop by my review blog to enter the giveaway for a set of Suave haircare products HERE. And you have one more day to enter to win a case of V-8 V-Fusion HERE.

Any particular reason you changed the RSS settings so that the full text of the entry doesn't show up in feed readers?
Just to make you crazy. Oops sorry, that's the answer I reserve for my kids. Actually, it was an experiment to see if it affected traffic to my blog. I think it'll be changing back this week though so hang on a couple more days.

So what made your friends think any of this [amount of junk in my van] was hilarious? They obviously don't have kids.
Bingo! You hit the nail right on the head.

But since we are in the van as much as in the house, don't we need extra toys, food and clothes in there?
Yes! In fact, I say car manufacturers should take this into consideration and install toilets and fridges standard on all minivans.

Exactly how big is your car Dawn?
It's just your standard 43 passenger van. Why?

Wait, how many cars participated in that photo shoot? Wow, that's a lot of stuff! Aren't you glad it's not all on your living room floor?
Uh yeah, not on my living room floor, uh huh. Yeah, because that would be bad. Excuse me while I kick the piles of toys and junk under the couch.... ahem.

How ever do you fit the kids in the car?
I'm supposed to put them in there too???

Took more time to take photos and write this post than it would have to clean all that stuff up - at least with the car to trash can method.
Yeah, but taking pictures was more fun than cleaning it. Duh.

Out of curiosity, after the pics, did you ummm clean out any of the detrius?
Ummm yeah, sure, sure I did.

I just went to my library website and typed in "dawn meehan" to see if they have your book, and the search results came back with "Did you mean 'dawn elephant'?" That just cracked me up, so I had to share!
Have you seen the size of my butt? I completely understand why "elephant" came up while googling my name!

Do you know what books stores will carry it [Because I Said So]?
Family Christian book stores and some Barnes & Noble stores carry it. You can also get it online HERE or HERE. Or, if you'd like an autographed copy, you can get one HERE.

very cute of Brooklyn, so Dawn, did you get her that after she had spent so much time telling you what she wanted?
Ugh, you know what I got her? I got the kids some sidewalk chalk and a 6 pack of bubbles for them to play with at the older kids' sporting events. Know what Clay & Brooklyn did with the bubbles while I was on the phone? They poured 4 bottles out on my kitchen floor and then stripped down and lubed themselves up with Desitin and Vaseline and made a kind of indoor slip-n-slide. I had to video blog that one. Seriously, where do they come up with this stuff??? I never would have dreamed of doing something like that when I was a kid. Savannah never did crazy stuff like that. :::sigh::: It took me over an hour to clean the floor even with Clay's "help"!

I finally ordered your book today, from the Christian Book Distributor on line. Am I a fan, or what? How many of your males readers have said the same? (s.s.o.)
I think you're one of three male readers, Rick. You're an elite group. Congratulations!

*lol* -- I've seen worse, when it comes to dinner time, ;-)
So have I. Almost every single night, in fact. I really should've shot some more footage before that video blog was put together.

I see Mom sits at the head of the table ;0
Actually, no, Brooklyn sits there (which is somehow fitting). We just rearranged a bit to try and fit everyone in the shot.

And should I even ask what came flying [across the table during dinner]?
Probably not. I try not to ask. Sometimes the answer is just scary.


And put your hands together for our musical guests, The Proclaimers (just because they have fun Scottish accents.)

19 comments:

Aloha Ya'll! said...

I have that song on my iPod! Love it!

Lu, Poppies Blooming said...

Not sure if this will impress you or not lol but I'm related to one of the band members. My husband's sister's (married a nice Scottish bloke) husband's brother is married to one their sister's. Yes, we're very close lol!

Amy Flippin Blankenship said...

What, no craving for a slaw dog? I LOVE that song. Brings back some great memories! :)

Heather said...

"Qu. Any particular reason you changed the RSS settings so that the full text of the entry doesn't show up in feed readers?"

"Answer....I think it'll be changing back this week though so hang on a couple more days."

Hurrah!

And I enjoyed the Proclaimers vid. :)

Chris said...

The Proclaimers 500 Miles is one of my favorite fun songs. Nice choice!!

Alana said...

I'm about halfway through your book and am LOVING it! Just wanted to add---I bought it here in Jacksonville at a "Books A Million" bookstore in the Christian books section. :)

MaBunny said...

Just wanted to let you know that I just received your book via Amazon.com. It will be the next book I read as I'm currently reading a library book. I can't wait - I've already sneaked a few peaks at it!

Kristine said...

LOVE the Proclaimers! We have 4 of their albums!

LOL at the indoor slip-n-slide! My toddler has been grabbing the hand and dishsoap lately. That works as a slip-n-slide too!

marythemom said...

I'm about 1/2 way through your book and am loving it! Weirdest thing though. I found it in a used book store in Austin, TX and it says it is a proofreading copy. As my little one used to say (when he was actually little), "How'd dat get in dere?!"

Mary in TX
http://marythemom-mayhem.blogspot.com

Mom to biokids Ponito(9) and his sister Bob(12)
Sibling pair adoptive placement from NE 11/06
Finally finalized on Kitty(13) on 3/08 - 2 weeks before her 13th birthday!
Finalized on her brother Bear 7/08. He turned 15 the next day.

" Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain."

Michelle said...

Uhhh got a ticket this weekend for free? How? And why didn't you tell me? I'm one of those procrastinators on the mile long list and it's in my own backyard!

Can't wait to see that vlog!

Theresa in Mèrida said...

When my son was about 13, we finally got so frustrated that we gave him a list of things that he was always allowed to do, if it was not on that list he was supposed to ask permission! Not that it worked all that well, but at least it cut back on the "experiments".Maybe that will help with the homemade slip and slides.If all else fails,
remember smart kids are more trouble, dumb ones just sit in the corner and play with dust balls.
regards,
Theresa

Anonymous said...

I can't believe your sister, parents, and even your GRANDMA were all in on the plan to exclude you and your family from the Mother's Day festivities!!! I shouldn't judge because I don't know your family dynamic, but what the heck??! I would have been seriously offended, so I applaud you if you weren't.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this song. My brother-in-law is Scottish & he entertained the family at the last reunion by doing this song for karaoke. He is quite a ham so it was really fun.

Michelle in PA

Anonymous said...

I saw (and bought) your book here in Montreal at Chapters, Canada's version of Barnes and Noble.

It can be purchased online here too:

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/Because-I-Said-So-Dawn-Meehan/9780824947477-item.html?ref=Search+Books:+%2527dawn+meehan%2527

gilroy gal said...

Had to laugh about the slip n slide..My nieces once cracked 2 dozen eggs on the floor and went "ice skatin'", after watching the Olympics on TV. Makes perfect sense. She was lucky tho..she called the dog in to lick up the mess! LOL!

Chicago native living in Dallas said...

GO HAWKS!!!
I taught my 2 year old daughter to say this throughout the game every time they play.

We live in Dallas and have Stars season tix. When the Hawks come to town we go to the pre-skate near the ice and cheer them on. Of course she is wearing Blackhawks clothing, just like her mommy! (Daddy is a Stars fan and always wears a Stars jersey.) Usually one of the players will toss us a practice puck. Whatever player tosses us a puck usually scores or gets an assist that night. Last time it was Byfuglien. He scored a goal that night and they most definitely won!

So you have company in bringing the Blackhawks to the Western Conference Finals!

Let's go Blackhawks!!!

Lindie said...

Your slip and slide reminded me of when Stacie (you know her, she has 6 too except she raised her own babysitters first and then had 3 more)and her sister were little. It was raining and they were bored so I gave them Stacie's old mattress (smaller) and told them they could slide down the stairs on it. Lucky they didn't crack their heads open!

pmerry said...

One of my favorite songs of all time!! Thanks for starting off my morning on a good note.

Stressed Out said...

Love, love, LOVE the Proclaimers. In fact, my husband proposed to me and played the Proclaimer's song "Let's Get Married" in the background. We still call each other on the phone whenever we hear either '500 miles' or 'let's get married' on the radio... and sadly enough, not enough people have heard of them in our neck of the woods...

Who's Visiting My Blog Right Now?

 
Home About Dawn Blog Books News & Events Press Kit Contact

Dawn Meehan 2008-. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design by Jones House Creative