Thursday, April 1, 2010

Coffee, Tea, or a Pinecone?

Clay had baseball at 6:00 tonight. Savannah had a softball meeting at 6:15. Jackson had hockey at 7:00 on the other side of town. Joe is still not in the kids' lives (other than when he happens to be working at the school where a couple of them attend.) I haven't figured out a way to clone myself yet.

So, after reminding the kids to get their mitt, bat, cup, water bottle, hockey stick, etc. 50,000 times, we all piled into the van and headed to Clay's practice. I dropped off Clay and Austin and pulled away to cruise to Savannah's softball meeting. As we drove down the street, I thought, Hmmm, I don't remember seeing Clay holding his baseball bag. I turned around and went back. Sure enough, Clay and Austin were standing there, looking a little lost. They grabbed the equipment, but couldn't get the water bottle or Austin's cell phone because they'd forgotten them at home. Not enough time for me to grab it. Gotta get to meeting. Away we went.

Walked into meeting, explained that Savannah would be out for the season even though the season hasn't even begun. Sped home, grabbed Austin's phone, Clay's water bottle, and Jackson's water bottle. Dropped Austin's phone off at the field where Clay was playing. Forgot to give him the water. Headed across town to Jackson's hockey practice. Realized I forgot to Febreeze his pads. Gagged a few times. Sat down to watch. 3 1/2 minutes later, Austin texted that Clay was done. Dragged everyone out to the car so we could drive back across town to get Clay and Austin. Brooklyn trudged out to the car carrying an armful of pinecones she'd collected.

"Mom, can I bring these home?"

I eyed the pinecones. "Why? So you can drop them on the floor of my car where they'll stay for the next 2 months while everyone steps on them and crushes them into the floor?"

blink blink

"Sigh OK, bring them along. Just get in the car so we can get your brothers."

The entire way across town, Brooklyn held her pinecones up while shouting, "Coffee! Tea! Lemonade! Dr. Soda (I think this is a relative of Dr. Pepper) Chocolate Milk!" She offered me a pinecone. "Here Mama! Don't you want some coffee?"

"Sure, Brooklyn", I said as I stopped at a light and reached back for my pinecone coffee. I held the "coffee" to my mouth as I gulped it down. I noticed the car next to me at the light looking at me strangely. "What? You've never had pinecone coffee before?" I asked.

This game went on the entire way home. I think I consumed 15 cups of coffee. I'll never sleep tonight! (I'll also never get all the sap off my hands!)

Leave it to the little ones to lighten an otherwise stressful evening. :)

24 comments:

Chick Hatchers said...

Random thoughts/comments:
I have plenty of pinecones she can have! They are quite messy, those pine trees!

Y'know, I think Brooklyn and my 4yo would get along quite nicely.

Getting multiple kids to various places at the same time IS very stressful. Brooklyn is an angel for helping lighten the mood, I'm sure. It probably would have stressed me out if it had been mine, but you act like you handled it well. So sorry you are going through a tough time.

Michelle said...

Awww, they really do have a talent, don't they? And it amazes me how they really know when it's needed. So sorry about Savannah, but ... one less set of trips needed this season? *sigh*

Ruthie said...

You make me smile and I really do admire you. What a great mom!

Anonymous said...

Salad oil, olive oil, any of those types get sap off of skin. Just rub it into the sap and off it comes! Just keep it away from clothes and have the sink running to get the oil off. It takes two seconds to get the sap off, the longest part is washing the oil off your hands.

WarsawMommy said...

I love it!! I mean, I don't love all that insanity of car-pooling and dragging kids and equipment around, but the pine cone thing?? Priceless.

rthling said...

....and PS. I love your new pictures of your cast of characters.

rthling said...

Whew! What a relief it will be when Austin can drive!

Sarah said...

Wow, you are super mom! You were before you were a single mom and especially are now! I'm sorry Joe is missing out on the kids - his loss. :(

Cute about the pinecones. :)

Hope you have a great weekend celebrating Resurrection Day!

Liz said...

Thank goodness you have the older kids to help out with the younger kids until you figure a way to clone yourself!

Erin T. said...

It does get easier. Granted, when I got divorced my children were 4 and 2 (and there were only two of them as opposed to six) and didn't have all the activities that older ones have, but it will get eaiser. Easier to deal with things by yourself. Easier to manage schedules. Easier all around. Keep going, Mama.

Christine said...

What would we do without them :) Be way too serious and stressed I'm sure!

Elleah said...

That is funny! Gotta love their imaginations!

Amy said...

It will get easier. My ex hasn't been a part of my kids lives in over 11 years now. All 4 of my boys played baseball. 3 of them on select, traveling tournament teams. 4 different ages. 4 different teams. Practice or games 7 days a week and usually in different cities in the metroplex. Oh and I lived in the country 40 minutes away from the city they played in. It was hectic but so very rewarding and once the older ones started driving, it got much easier. I only had 5 kids not 6 but I do empathize!

*hugs to you!*

Lyuda said...

Sometimes it pays to act like a kid, huh? Now I want to try pinecone coffee! ;)

Shari said...

Dawn: we are all human! But I do have to say that you are an amazing Mom! I know you put with and fun here on the blog but how you deal with your kids is such a blessing! I know I have my moments, too. But there's just something about reading this blog that makes me want to keep going in the midst of my storm.

Anonymous said...

I think you're super mom but even super mom needs help sometimes. I have 3 of my own but not single so I help my single friend doing it alone. Their Dad is hardly in the picture so her friends help. I know you want to be there for each thing but like you said you can't clone yourself. Maybe sometimes one of them could carpool with someone else on the team? I know even me, when my husband is working and I only have 3, have a hard time and the coach offered to pick my son up for batting practice on those nights my husband wasn't home. Just a thought. I think you're amazing and handle it all so well...but if anyone can help and will help, let them sometimes....that's my two cents anyhow.

The Brooklyn story - priceless.

Anonymous said...

Seems to me you are doing a great job juggling all the activities. Just remember to cut yourself some slack. You have to remember that nothing is EVER going to be perfect. The kids will forget things, they'll be late getting places because you're stuck in traffic, etc. No one will judge you for that so don't judge yourself! Enjoy the relationships you have with your kids and let the small stuff slide. Trust me, it's not important!

mommeeof10 said...

My older kids are limited to 1 activity each. I have one who is a girl scout (friday nights) and one who is a boy scout (Monday nights). My #5 is into gymnastics, saturday mornings. My kids do not seem to care for sports, which is fine with me, though a few would like to go back to karate again. Now that both cars are paid for, I might be able to afford it.

working mama trying to make it all work said...

I only have 3 kids but I have had similar circumstances....my youngest always seems to find a way to make me smile or laugh. I only have 2 left at home....my 17 yr old son & my 5 yr old daughter. I know how quickly it all passes having one already left the nest....I try to cherish each of those moments...even the madness of running kids to point A & Point B....one day they will all leave the nest & then I can breathe...and stop living in my minivan! LOL!

Abby said...

Gotta say that I love the new pictures of you and the kids, but rather disappointed that the ones of the kiddos make them all look so "normal." No more blue tongue pictures that show their personalities? Very saddddd. ;-)

Unknown said...

One word: carpool. I only have two kids, and carpools are a godsend. Surely at least one of your kids has a friend on his or her team who could give them a ride sometimes??

Sandy in Illinois said...

Forgot to mention the other day. Happy one year anniversary on the release of your first book. What is the proposed release date of book two? Eagerly awaiting number two.

Anonymous said...

Dawn,

Do the other set of grandparent's get to see the kids? And how was your Easter?

Anonymous said...

My now almost 13 year old stuck a tiny (and I mean tiny) pinecone up her nose when she was 3. Some friends who were with us at the time have since nicknamed her "Pinecone." The things little ones will do!

Who's Visiting My Blog Right Now?

 
Home About Dawn Blog Books News & Events Press Kit Contact

Dawn Meehan 2008-. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design by Jones House Creative