Monday, January 9, 2012

One Small Act of Kindness - Week One

This is a project I wanted to start the first week of this new year, however, as with so many things these days, I dropped the ball and didn't get this post up in time. Still, I really want to do this project, so I figured it's better late than never.

You can't underestimate the power of a random act of kindness, a kind word, a small gesture, a thoughtful gift. Like the picture Jackson drew last year when he was in the hospital, you never know how your small act of kindness will affect others. It can be so far-reaching.



Jackson is in the center. He does something nice for three people. They, in turn, do something nice for two or three more people, and so on, and so on, and so on . . .


I'll toss out some ideas every week. You can use my idea or come up with your own. If you have a great idea that you'd like to share with everyone, please do!


My idea for week one (which has already passed, I know, but you can still fit it in sometime) is to pick up the tab for a stranger. I know sometimes it can be difficult to step out of your comfort zone so I thought we'd start off easy this week. While in line at Starbucks, McDonald's, etc., pay for the person's order behind you. Or while driving through the tollbooth, give the attendant money for the car (or two or ten) behind you. You don't have to spend a lot. Imagine how it will make someone's day when they pull up to the window to pay for their coffee only to discover that the person in front of them already picked up the tab!

So, who's with me? If you choose to participate every week or just now and then, please, please, please leave a comment here and let us know what you did, how it made you feel, and how you think it will affect others. I can't wait to hear your stories!

8 comments:

Pams Party said...

I was the recipent of someones random act of the kindness this past. I was in the grocery store looking through my coupons when a man come up to me and laid a coupon on top of my coupon binder. He said Happy New Year and disappeared before I could really get a look at him or the coupon. It was for $20 off my groceries! That really made my day, and it really helped since we have been on a tight budget.

Krys72599 said...

LOVE the idea of a random act of kindness! I've always wanted to pay for someone's coffee, ever since I first read about the idea. I don't go through the drive very often but I will be doing it the very next time I do. In the meantime, a real life story: my 91-year-old aunt dropped an envelope of cash ($700) coming out of the bank the last weekend in Nov. She realized it when she got to her car and immediately went back to look for it but someone had already taken it. It was gone. Another customer in the bank felt bad for her and took up a collection from local businessmen and mall employees (they all know my aunt - if you met her, you'd understand!) and they were able to replace the money for her within a week! There was no need for them to do that but the guy said he hoped someone would help his elderly aunt if something like this happened to her. There are still a LOT of nice people in the world! Hope they're reading your blog!

Anonymous said...

I absolutely LOVE this!! I always try to be positive and help others, but now I'm going to try even harder! I will follow your example! Thanks Dawn for the incentive to do even more than I already do!!

Michele said...

I try to do this once a payday - and I always say, a random act of kindness in memory of Coleman or JuJu. I pay for the person behind me in line at Chick-fil-a. IDK how it makes a difference for them, but it always makes me feel good.

Lexie said...

I have had this done to me and done it in return. I didn't know you started this, Dawn, but I paid for the coffee for the person behind me on a cold Florida day last week :)

Willis Family said...

Someone paid for my meal in a drive-thru the week before Christmas, and it was such an amazing feeling! I paid it forward the next day by paying for someone behind me at another drive-thru, and it did not go well. The worker MOCKED ME for wanting to do something like that, and I ended up feeling sheepish and stupid. The man behind me still got a free meal, but I was shocked someone could take away the thrill of giving from me! I was undeterred, however, and did it again the next week. It worked just the way it was supposed to and I felt so happy that I was able to do something little for someone else :)

Unknown said...

I did this the other day @ McD's...paid for the guy behind me...didn't help that it was a state trooper! The girl @ the window said AWWW that is so nice...I told her well he serves and protects us...oh and when he drives up make sure you tell him to write down my license plate number just in case he ever stops me, he will remember the nice lady who paid for his breakfast! WHAT?? don't question...that would be HIS random act of kindness in return! LOL

LaLa said...

Okay I changed it a little - but I promise I will get this one done as well. (Our budget at this time wouldn't even allow me to pay for someones coffee behind me - lol)

Anyway, we had a big snowstorm yesterday on the East Coast so instead of buying something for someone I left work 20mins early and I started my car, and cleared the snow off my windshield and lights along with the clearing off 4 other cars around me. So when these people came out they didn't need to do it themselves :)

Not exactly the same but I think the "warm fuzzies" I felt were the same....lol.

Lisa

Who's Visiting My Blog Right Now?

 
Home About Dawn Blog Books News & Events Press Kit Contact

Dawn Meehan 2008-. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design by Jones House Creative