Tuesday, March 1, 2022

A Li'l Update

I know I've kinda dropped off the face of the earth. I was getting so annoyed by everyone and everything that I had to step back from all human interaction. (That is, all human interaction except the interaction I need to endure at work since I kind of like getting paid. I mean, if I can't pay my rent, I'll have to live in a van down by the river. And I don't even own a van anymore so essentially, I'd have to live in a compact car down by the river. And that is not appealing.) Anyway, I hit my limit of stupidity and simply couldn't absorb any more so I drifted away from all social media.

So, what's been going on with me, you ask? Let's see . . . 

I learned that the treatment for cancer is worse than the cancer itself. My dad got cancer in his parotid gland. This guy who gets teeth filled without novocaine, and literally never complains of pain of any kind has been in so much pain. Between the throat pain and the gross taste that is omnipresent in his mouth, he hasn't been able to eat for weeks. But he recently finished treatment and is anxiously waiting to feel better, and to start eating again.

I learned that if you complain loudly enough, you can get what you want. Clay, Brooklyn, and I were able to visit my parents in Chicago for Thanksgiving, right before he started chemo and radiation. My dad and I went to pick up my Aunt Vasiliki and my grandmother, Lavonne to bring them out to my parents' house for the day. My grandma was impatient to get out to the car (I mean, I can't blame her! She'd been stuck in her assisted living facility for ages, and she's 100! She's done enough waiting in her life.) Anyway, she was impatient to get out and didn't wait for a nurse to help her, or for me to come inside and walk her out. She ended up falling in the hallway, hitting her head, and getting a giant goose egg. The paramedics took her to the hospital to be checked out since her blood pressure was also sky high. She was MAD! She didn't care about her head or blood pressure; she just wanted to get out and see her family. And she let everyone in the ER know it. "I'm 100 and my granddaughter from Florida is here! You let me out now!"

Anyway, they did let her out and she and I were able to join the rest of the family. I told my grandmother that although I enjoyed spending some one-on-one time with her, the next time I come to visit, we should hang out at home, not in the ER. Or at least pick a hospital with some cute doctors to admire! She agreed.

I learned that I have a new grandson. I haven't seen or talked to Austin, Codi, or Colynn in over a year. I don't even know why. I reread their vitriolic texts to me now and then, looking for some clue as to why they don't have anything to do with me, but to no avail. (They hadn't talked to Savannah and her family in over 2 years, but just recently made amends there which makes me happy.) Anyway, they had another baby right before Savannah had Islah so I have another grandson named Sage. I've never seen him.

I learned that I am way too old and fat to use crutches. At the end of December, I stepped off a curb, heard a pop, and my right knee gave out on me. I was unable to bear weight for a few days.  Apparently, my left knee was feeling jealous of all the fun (you know, ice packs, brace, and steroid shot) that my right knee was receiving so it decided to even things out a bit. While walking out to my car a couple weeks later, my left knee popped and gave out on me. MRIs showed small meniscus tears, considerable bone marrow edema, and little to no cartilage left behind my kneecaps. Walking has become a very painful endeavor. 

I learned, once again, that no matter how hard you try to teach your kids not to act like idiots, sometimes they do anyway. Clay moved out in the middle of the night right before Christmas, and as far as I know, moved in with his girlfriend. He doesn't come around or really talk to anyone anymore.

I learned why people have kids when they're young. Savannah, Ish, and Islah were going to move to Georgia for Ish to accept a job there. Long story short - that didn't happen, thankfully, because I would've missed them way too much. However, they lost their apartment in preparing to move and ended up moving in with me until they're able to find a place. I love being able to see Islah every day. It's amazing how quickly she grows and changes, and I very thankful for this time with her. But lemme tell ya, babies are loud! And crawling babies that like to get into the cat food are exhausting to chase!

I learned all the words to the Spanish versions of every kids' song ever written. Because Ish speaks Spanish, Savannah and Ish speak English and Spanish to Islah so she can grow up being bilingual, which is awesome. To this end, they play songs in Spanish for her, and little gems like Baby Shark run through my head in Spanish on a nonstop loop until I want to stab my eardrums with a sharp stick. Bebé Tiburón do do do-do do . . . 

I'll leave you with a couple pictures and a promise to start writing again because this has GOT to be my last year in education! 

my dad ringing the bell after his last treatment

my grandma after leaving the ER on Thanksgiving



my adorable granddaughter, Islah

13 comments:

dana said...

Good to see ya pop up on my feed! 🥰

Diane Puchta said...

I was wondering what happened to you. It breaks my heart that some of your children are estranged and I will pray for family healing. I’ve missed you.

Ernie said...

Oh my. So great to hear from you. I'm so very sorry about the family discord. My oldest son moved out for 5 months in 2020 and sent us horrible messages. Why so angry? It never made sense but fortunately he moved back home after he had a scare on an expressway. I think his life flashed before his eyes. I hope the issues they are imagining can be resolved soon.

Your grandma does not look a day over 75. Glad she is OK.

So sorry that your dad has been in so much pain. Hopefully the treatment was successful.

Oh my gosh. Your knees? Ouch. I'm lucky to be married to a PT because I am always struggling with some ache. But both knees acting up really bites.

Looking forward to more posts. Hang in there.

petunia6348 said...

Gee, I’ve missed you but things have been too crazy around here to even realize it!! You need to keep writing ✍️ You have a real gift!!❤️

Melissa said...

Your grandma looks fabulous for 100!

Donna said...

((Dawn)) -- you came to mind yesterday.....now I know why.....hoping for peace for you and yours....

Sharlyn said...

Glad to hear from you! I've missed your honest wit. Sorry to hear some of your children are being boneheads,🙄 hope they straighten up soon. Cutie pie grandkids!

melinda said...

I understand your pain with children.
I am glad there might be peace soon.
You are lucky your grandma is still here and what a blessing to be abe to see her. Congrats on your dad. And Im glad your rainbow is the baby Islah

Tina said...

How wonderful to see you writing again! I love it! Enjoyed reading an update on everyone! Please keep updating and blogging! I know a lot of us have missed you!

Sorry about your Dad, your Grandmother sounds amazing---and sorry about the estrangement with kids. I personally think this generation gets offended by anything and everything; and their solution is to 'punish" their parents and run off with no contact.

I had a 22 year old daughter leave Indiana, move to Utah and not respond to anything for 6 months. I called the police to do a welfare check, then her and her room mate returned a call cussing me out and telling me to leave her alone.

4 months later, after the room mate kicked her out, my daughter started calling and acting more like her self. Our relationship is better but now still strained, at least I know she is safe but still lives 1500 miles away from me.

Kids! they drive you crazy! Can't wait to read more updates! Prayers!

Kazza the Blank One said...

oh gosh, sorry to hear about Austin not talking to you. And thanks for the update.. I've been following your blog since Brooklyn was 2! It's been so nice to hear about your family all these years. Stay strong (I know are, really!).

angie said...

Glad to see you back! Yes, cancer treatment is horrible. Bad knees might be as bad. I just had a knee replacement and after 10 weeks, I can say while it's stiff, no more throbbing bone pain.

Cindy said...

Your grandkids are so cute! Great picture of them.

My middle daughter and 12 year old granddaughter (and their two cats) have moved in with us for a while. The house she was renting was sold so she's staying here to save up for a new place.

I'm sorry to hear about your kids cutting off communication with you. You're the 4th person I've heard going through this same thing. It's so sad and has me on my knees often. I will add you to my prayer list. I can only imagine what you're going through.

Your grandma doesn't look 100! Not even close! Glad she's doing okay after that fall.

Vanessence7 said...

So many prayers for you, Dawn! For you and your family - the health issues, the estrangements, the worries, all of it. fwiw, I know how all that feels and I just want to tell you that you are not alone, and whenever you feel like you are, know that someone out there in Chicagoland is praying earnestly for you, for blessings to shower down on you and your family. xoxox <3

Who's Visiting My Blog Right Now?

 
Home About Dawn Blog Books News & Events Press Kit Contact

Dawn Meehan 2008-. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design by Jones House Creative