Wednesday, April 11, 2012

God's Trains Run on Time

A reader recently asked me why I don’t write funny stories about the stuff my kids get into anymore. The answer is simple – my kids don’t get into all manner of things anymore. (I'm at a different stage of my life now. These days I write about my son's hobo career goal, and getting back into the dating scene after 20 years.) As with everything, the mess-making was a phase my kids went through when they were younger. At the time, it was frustrating. But take heart, you parents of young ones, this too shall pass. It won’t last forever. Ecclesiastes 3:1 says, “To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under heaven.” Or, as my dear friend and author, Margaret McSweeney always says, “God’s trains run on time.”

Of course, it will be replaced with other frustrating and confusing things like first boyfriends, getting driver’s licenses, college applications, weddings, grandkids . . . But then again, those stages will pass in the blink of an eye as well. That’s kind of how it works. Nothing stays the same; people grow, circumstances change. Things happen when they’re supposed to happen and they end when they’re supposed to end. It all works together and good can come out of even the most dire situations.


I know that time flies in the blink of an eye. I know this. I see it firsthand every day. Yet, I still have to remind myself to slow down and enjoy it sometimes. It’s just so darn easy to get caught up in the stresses of daily life, and so easy to be blind to the little things that matter. Last night, Brooklyn climbed into bed with me. I thought – great, now I’ll never get any sleep! That kid is like an octopus! For a tiny girl, she sure takes up a lot of space in my bed, limbs all over the place. And her feet are drawn to my butt like a magnet; I get kicked on my backside all night long. But something made me stop last night and look at her sweet, sleeping face. This won’t last much longer. Before I know it, she’ll be too big and too old to climb into bed with me. I know this stage will be replaced with something else and it makes my heart ache a little. So I pulled her closer to me and snuggled. What’s a little butt-kicking between a mama and her baby, right?

1 comment:

Juliet said...

Hi Dawn my name is Samantha. I like your blog . I am also a mother of six here is my blog address
http://mylifeasasinglemotherofsix.blogspot.com/
I can't tell you how delighted I am to find a blog published by another mother of six. I am new to the blogging scene and I could really use some pointers. My blog address is listed above, can you take a look at it and tell me where i can make improvements? I look forward to chatting with you, thanks.

Who's Visiting My Blog Right Now?

 
Home About Dawn Blog Books News & Events Press Kit Contact

Dawn Meehan 2008-. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design by Jones House Creative