Sunday, September 11, 2011

Check Yes or No


I thought about writing a post commemorating 9/11, but it just made me sad, and I don’t do sad.  And really, every venue has thoroughly covered the topic this weekend, so I didn’t think anyone needed to read one more from me.  So, instead, I’m writing about communicating with your kids.  I’ve written about the importance of communicating with your kids many times over the years.  It’s important to make the time to talk with your kids, starting when they’re babies.  Talk to them, listen to them, and keep those lines open, ensuring them that they can come to you with any problem, at any time.

Earlier this week, I wrote about how my teenage son and I kept in touch via texting HERE.  Today, my seven-year-old son, Clay, found a creative way to get my attention so he could ask me a question; a question of the utmost importance.  It was so important, in fact, that he simply couldn’t go to sleep until I’d answered him.

As I sat on the couch, laptop in hand, working on something crucial like creeping on my kids’ Facebook pages, I heard Clay (who was supposed to be in bed) lurking around the stairway. Being a considerate, loving mother, I called out to Clay, “Get your butt back in bed before I have to kill you.” (It’s important to always say what you mean, mean what you say, and avoid making idle threats.) Before I’d finished my sentence, a paper plane whizzed past my head.

I grabbed the plane, ready to chase Clay around the house until he got back in bed when I noticed writing on the plane. I carefully unfolded the paper and read.

DSC 00491 685x1024 Check Yes or No

Ahhhh, so this was why he couldn’t sleep. I mean, who could possibly fall asleep with such a burning question on their mind? To poop or not to poop? He needed to know whether his mom liked pooping before he could settle himself down to sleep. He was so eager for an answer that he actually included a pencil taped inside the paper plane so I could answer by circling yes or no immediately and send the plane on its outbound flight back to Clay’s room.


It doesn’t matter if you and your kids all pile on your bed and talk about the things you all miss about Chicago, or if you sit around the dinner table, laughing about the funny things that happened at school, or if you send your teen a monkey text, or if you fly a paper airplane note to your poop-obsessed son.  It’s all communicating.  It all counts.  It all lays the foundation for more serious talks, like What did your poop look like today?

1 comment:

Anne Birdsong said...

I love it Dawn! This made me chuckle.
I just this morning posted about a note to the tooth fairy I found that my youngest had written when he was five. It might make you chuckle, too...
http://bringingboryahome.blogspot.com/2011/09/mirth-monday_12.html

Who's Visiting My Blog Right Now?

 
Home About Dawn Blog Books News & Events Press Kit Contact

Dawn Meehan 2008-. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design by Jones House Creative