Friday, November 5, 2010

Why I Have a Cell Phone

I love my cell phone. Honestly, I can't even remember a time when I didn't have it. How did we ever manage without cell phones? I mean, I know if I had to go without a phone, I probably wouldn't die, but who wants to take that chance? And I don't have any ordinary phone either. I have an iPhone. I obsessively check my blog, my email, Facebook, Twitter and these days, the latest Amazon rank on my new book, You'll Lose the Baby Weight (and OTHER LIES about pregnancy and childbirth).

I don't know what would happen if I had to go ten whole minutes without knowing where my book falls in Amazon's sales. What if it hit the number one best seller while I was at the grocery store and I didn't have a smart phone to check it out? I'd be filling my cart with frozen waffles and milk and I wouldn't even know that I had a best seller so I'd totally miss my opportunity to shout to every random stranger I met, "Hey, my book is number one on Amazon right now! Wooo Hooo!" I guess I could do that anyway. I mean, what are the chances they'd pull out their smart phone, look it up and figure out I was lying through my teeth? Not likely.

I also use my phone to entertain myself when I'm sitting in a waiting room and the only magazines around are Field and Stream, and Popular Mechanics. I play Cowabunga or Angry Birds educational games and Scrabble.

But most importantly, my phone lets Brooklyn google really important stuff when I fall asleep while watching Ponyo with her for the forty-eight thousandth time.


18 comments:

noexcuses said...

Love Brooklyn's google! I sometimes think about how we survived without cell phones, too! Mine is not as sophisticated as yours. If it was, I'd never get anything done!

Can't wait to read the book! Changed my facebook profile just for you,too!

Liz

Gwen said...

Just last night, I was thinking how badly I would like an iPhone (I have a very old cell phone... practical but not fun). I mentioned this to my husband, and he said that between the laptop and the iPhone, my children would lose me forever! Probably true... although I just told him he was cheap! Cross you fingers, maybe I'll get one for Xmas! In which case, I too, will check your Amazon stats because (Geeky me, I'm being serious) that sounds like fun!

Donna said...

at least you have a data package....

Anonymous said...

My daughter loves Ponyo, too!

MamaLemma said...

Heaven help you if she figures out that she can SPEAK a Google search. :-)

Unknown said...

So, where IS your book on the Amazon rankings right now?

Ellobie said...

Pssst: You can take a direct screenshot of your iPhone by quickly pressing the top-power and front-round buttons simultaneously. Then you can email the screencap or whatever just like any other pic on your phone. :)

Kimberly said...

Congratulations on your book! The hard part is finished, ENJOY!

Vanessa (Housewives Inc) said...

I have an iPhone too - and admit to surfing aimlessly at night if I can't sleep, or playing games while in a waiting room.... But to be totally honest, most of the time I leave it on silent and let voicemail pick up the calls (that's what voicemail is for, right?!) - That way I can deal with calls when I want to, rather than being constantly interrupted.
I wish more people were brave enough to do the same {particularly those who are constantly texting and checking stuff DURING lunchdates/playdates/etc.} Grrr
;-P

@ly said...

I have an iPhone too and I love it and I was just recently accused of being addicted to it. LOL. I don't know what I would do without it. I love that thing. I'm not rude with it.....at appropriate times it is silenced and when someone is talking to me I do pay attention! LOL!

Amy @ Marvelous Mommy said...

Haha I love my iPhone too! And both the hubby and I love playing Angry Birds! His goal right now is to get 3 stars on each level! lol

Cheryl Pitt said...

Hey look, Brooklyn spelled "fig"! Smart girl!

Heather said...

I have frequently wondered the same about my cell phone! How did I ever live without it??? I misplace it and feel like I am going to have an anxiety attack! lol Oh - and I saw the preview for the new animated movied "Tangled" and thought that Rapunzel looks just like Brooklyn! :)

Suburban Correspondent said...

Get Words with Friends and I'll play with you!

Anonymous said...

Glad to know I'm not the only one Dawn! There must be plenty of us out there doing our shopping oblivious to the fact we're all checking Google!! Will have to look around more next time. ;)

Shelley said...

Wow, and I just got my first phone that actually has a Qwerty keyboard. Not a smart phone, just a regular phone with a full keyboard. It just makes texting (which I sort of hate) a bit easier.

Remember when you were a kid, and you had sleepovers, and you sat around in a circle and talked and giggled and talked all night? Now, look at a jr high age sleepover. They still sit in that same circle, but they are all furiously texting in their own little worlds. I sometimes wonder what sort of communication skills the next generation is going to have. They'll be great at texting...I wonder how they will be at talking to people. Then again, maybe they won't have to. And that would be sad. Sometimes I miss plain, old-fashioned talking to people. As I sit here typing a comment on a blog.

Sorry to hijack your comments for my own little rant. :\

chris said...

whos ready for christmas
www.artworkbylindsay.net an artist and mother of six needs you to just give it a look.

Doreen Lombardo said...

I have a Blackberry, for business,though of course personal stuff comes over too. Like you, I will read things from my phone while in waiting rooms, sometimes answer personal or business emails or check out pictures of friends and family on FB.

Who's Visiting My Blog Right Now?

 
Home About Dawn Blog Books News & Events Press Kit Contact

Dawn Meehan 2008-. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design by Jones House Creative