Sunday, November 7, 2010

Sunday Sound Out

From Chicago, where we're celebrating National Bittersweet Chocolate with Almonds Day (Hey, I don't make this stuff up and if it entails eating chocolate, I don't question it either.), it's your host, the woman who just her won her 4829th game of solitaire. Hmmm, I probably shouldn't brag about that.

My baby turned sixteen yesterday. SIXTEEN! I have no idea how this happened. I swear I was pregnant with him just yesterday. Austin is taking Japanese in school this year and he is so into it that he's worked ahead of the class to the point that he's skipping ahead an entire year of Japanese next semester. So, for his birthday, I made him a sushi cake. I was thrilled with how the sushi turned out, but disappointed that I didn't have enough time to make a good "plate" out of cake to set the sushi on. And I had really wanted to write happy birthday in Japanese on the cake, but just ran out of time to look it up and practice. Anyway, here's the cake...









Jackson and Lexi had their last football game on Saturday. Jackson's team made it to the playoffs and ended up in the championship game. It was the best game of the entire season! Holy cow, what a nail-biter! In the last minute of the game, Jackson's team made a touchdown, bringing the score to 13-12. In less than a minute of play, however, the opposing team was able to get the ball all the way down the field and was SO close to scoring. On the last play, Jackson grabbed the quarterback and slowed him down enough that another teammate was able to get in his face and force him to throw the ball to the ground. It was awesome! You know, if you like football. Which I don't. But still, when it's a championship game and it's that close and your kid is out there, making plays... well, don't tell anyone, but it's pretty cool.



And now, here are answers to this week's questions...

Wow what a fantastic idea to make your book signing a baby shower theme and help the community.You are awesome.
It was
Margaret McSweeney's idea. She's awesome and does a lot for Wings. When she came up with the baby shower idea, I jumped on it because it's a perfect fit for my book and it'll benefit both me and Wings and you just can't beat a win/win situation!

Dying to hear how the book release party went! If I wasn't 8 hours away I would have so been there!
The party was fun! I think everyone there had a good time. We did shoot some video from the night and I'm working on putting it together now. I'll put it on my blog for everyone to see as soon as I can! And don't worry if you missed the event at Comedy Sportz last week. I'm having another event at the Makray Club in Barrington, IL. This will also benefit Wings. Mark your calendars for lunch on Friday, December 3. Invitation will follow!

So, where IS your book on the Amazon rankings right now?
Well, that's something that's ever-changing. But you can order a copy for yourself and all your friends and help me get it to number one. ;)
You can order from Amazon
HERE, or you can go to my books page and order from your choice of booksellers HERE.

I love Monterey. Did you get to eat at Bubba Gumps?
I had the fruit of the sea. You know, 'cause you can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. There's shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That's about it.

What did you oldest two kids do for halloween? Somehow I don't think they missed out on their fair share of candy.
Savannah went to Six Flags with her friends and Austin went to a party with his friends. They both dressed up. Neither is sharing candy with me. Even though it's National Bittersweet Chocolate with Almonds Day today. Pssht!

Glad your family is healthy once again. Did the older two ever get it?

Yep! All seven of us got it. Austin was the last to fall while I was in California. A couple days ago, I got an email from the school district, warning us that a horrible gastroentestinal virus was sweeping through Chicagoland. Umm, thanks?



Have a wonderful week! And don't forget to change the clocks back. And change the batteries in your smoke detectors. And change your Facebook profile picture to the cover of my book to be entered in a drawing for a signed copy of it.

15 comments:

Jen@Scrapingirl said...

I have a new SIL who is due in March and I was thinking about getting your book for her, but she's irritating and annoying. So I'm trying to think of someone else who'd like it. :) Have a great week!!

Erin said...

That cake is amazing! I thought you were going to describe going out for Sushi to celebrate his birthday.
Well done!

Anonymous said...

I'm very excited that you will have a book signing in Barrington. I'm so there!...if I get an invite C=:-D

Julie H said...

That cake is so awesome!!

Woot made it to the Sunday Sound Out again ;)

Robin said...

Honestly Dawn, that cake is quite amazing! Your talents really are endless. I would've had a hard time cutting in to such a masterpiece!!

Unknown said...

Awesome cake! It should be featured on Sunday Sweets on the cake wrecks blog. (That's a good thing!)

The Lady's Lounge said...

Last night I was abducted by ninja aliens, tied down and forced to watch a Cake War kinda show on TV and the bakery charged $3,000.00 for a sushi boat cake and can I just say...

That cake had NUTHIN' on yours!

Amazing job lady.

pmerry said...

Ummm... WOW! What an awesome cake! You are incredibly talented.

Anonymous said...

For the record...the cake was PERFECT just the way it was! Loved it! Even if I didn't get a slice!

Carmen said...

Love the cake!!! It looks like it was a lot of work, but I'm sure that it was worth it!

Sharon said...

Dawn I just knew you'd hang in there and learn to actually enjoy football. My daughter was a cheerleader for many many years like Lexi and I sat through many of the same games you did. I love football and actually have withdrawal when the season is over. Both football and cheerleading are very good team building sports and the people who you'll meet are some of the nicest ever. You and your children will actually benefit from those contacts. Love the sushi cake, you are one talented woman!

Sarah said...

Congrats on your book! What an accomplishment for a single mom of six! That is just awesome and my hat's off to you!

I am writing a book myself - will be following you for some inspiration :)

also? that sushi cake looks super YUM. i now want cake. and sushi.

JoAnne in CT said...

How will you know who's got your book as their profile pic?

Anonymous said...

You did such a beautiful job on the cake!
Jean

Unknown said...

food food and food.. i need it.. wow..

Who's Visiting My Blog Right Now?

 
Home About Dawn Blog Books News & Events Press Kit Contact

Dawn Meehan 2008-. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design by Jones House Creative