Saturday, November 20, 2010

Who Needs TV?

So many people I know are addicted to TV. They can't miss an episode of their favorite shows. If they're going to be out when a show airs, they tape, Tivo, or DVR it so they don't have to (gasp!) miss a single moment. Now, I'm not saying I'm better than those who are addicted to TV. I mean, I admitted that I'm addicted to my iPhone earlier. I love being able to keep up with everyone that way. But TV? Well, watching TV is never on my to-do list. I have so many better, more entertaining things to watch. I have six kids! And when I'm old and gray (okay, grayER), I want to look back and remember the awesome, fun moments hanging out with my kids, not who won on Dancing with the Stars. I want to remember playing games with them, talking to them, watching their impromptu magic shows, and "eating" plastic food in their pretend restaurants.

I mean, who needs TV when you have entertainment like this? Here's a video with Clay proving he could get along as an amputee and Brooklyn talking about a new Chicago football team. (Excuse the mess and the pile of boxes for Operation Christmas Child. I haven't been up to cleaning this week.)



So, turn off the TV this weekend and hang out with your kids. Or click the link above for Operation Christmas Child and pack shoe boxes with your child to help others less fortunate. It's a fun thing to do together and a great lesson for all of us to remember!

11 comments:

@ly said...

Very nice indeed.....the moments when they are young are the ones to cherish ....as they grow and become teens ..it becomes way more difficult and complicated. Enjoy every moment...time flies too fast.

V1nce said...

Is it OK if we watch a show about spending time with kids? Will that count?

If there is no show like that can you please make one?

We'll DVR it. Promise!

Anonymous said...

I have my shows that I love to keep on.... but only AFTER helping with homework, listening to reading, practicing spelling words, signing my life away on all their notebooks, making sure all the shampoo is out of their hair, playing board games, watching my daughters "show", saying prayers in bed, giving hugs and kisses. THEN it's time for some Grey's Anatomy, Private Practice,and Desperate Housewives!! :)

Unknown said...

You're right about the TV! They grow up so fast, too, best make the most of it now :D

I was part of being on the receiving end of a project similar to Operation Christmas Child and being able to deliver those shoeboxes was a highlight for my kids and me. The children we distributed to were so thankful as for most of them it was the closest thing they would be getting to any gifts at all. I think it's a wonderful idea and wanted to say thanks to you and all those who give in this way!

Six-Pack Momma said...

That is hilarious! My kids do that pants thing all the time! Good to see someone else's kids are as goofy as mine. My son wore out the knees in his fleece jammies doing that. And I love Brooklyn's word association. You area absolutely right- it's way better that watching TV!

bearhugg said...

ROFL! Great video! Sorry I missed the live show. You've got quite the talented troupe. Clay has got the Dorf imitation nailed! With your stand up routine and the individual talents of the kids you could make a killing on the road ;)I totally agree! With the exception of sitting down and watching a movie every now and then, vegging in front of the TV is not my way of spending quality time with the kids. You are an inspiration. Thanks for the awesome idea of putting together shoe boxes for Operation Christmas Child. GO WHALES!!!

Lyndsay said...

We just dropped off our Operation Christmas Child box this afternoon!

Sarah said...

I love doing Operation Christmas Child. Such a neat thing. How are you feeling after your surgery???

Michelle said...

Good for her to know to list the Vikings first. Even though they are miserable this year. Still the best team of earth :)

And ohhhh the benefits of having older siblings. I have to admit that I don't think either of the wee ones would know how to shake their booties....

Laura Everyday Edits said...

Yes to the television off. I had to giggle because I have two posts on television from last week. Please visit my "rants....would love to share in what I call "cable crack."

Erika said...

Hey, Dawn! I completely agree - who needs tv? My family gave up tv for a whole year this past March. I write a blog all about the trials and tribulations - http://notvfor365days.blogspot.com - No tv made me realize how much I love to play with my son and spawned another blog called A Passion for Play http://larsonlearningandplay.blogspot.com. I'd love for you to check them out. Love the blog!

Who's Visiting My Blog Right Now?

 
Home About Dawn Blog Books News & Events Press Kit Contact

Dawn Meehan 2008-. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design by Jones House Creative