Thursday, January 7, 2010

It's That Time of Year

It's time for my annual list of New Year's resolutions. I'm happy to report that I kept every single one of last year's resolutions. Oh yes, I did! No, I'm not being sarcastic! I really, truly did keep my resolutions for the first time ever. OK, ok, for those of you who are new to my blog, you can read my list of resolutions HERE. See? I told you I kept them.

But, despite the fact that I kept my resolutions, I feel like I really didn't accomplish anything by doing that. So, this year, I have a new list to completely ignore keep.

1. The ever-popular "Lose Weight and Get in Shape" resolution, AKA: The Eat Salads for a Week and Then Give up and Scarf Down a Whole Pizza resolution. Seriously, this one is really important to me this year. I'm going to turn fort..um, I'm going to turn a certain age that comes after thirty-nine in a couple months. I have a preliminary weight-loss goal I'd like to reach by my birthday. The fact that I throw up and or feel like I'm having a heart attack if I eat garbage-y food (and refuse to go to the doctor to get my gall bladder checked out) is another big reason for changing habits.

2. I will try really, really hard to get 8 hours of sleep at night. And I'll try really, really, REALLY hard to get out of bed early enough so I don't have to get all the kids ready for school in 2.7 minutes. And I'll be pleasant and cheerful in the morning. I won't walk around with my eyes closed, finding my way to the coffee maker simply by feeling my way along the countertop. I won't grunt in response to my kids' questions. I won't put my hand over Brooklyn's mouth when she starts incessantly babbling away about anything and everything on earth before the sun even comes up! Oh, who am I kidding? Like that'll ever happen. Let's be realistic here. Hmmm, I'll try to get 4 hours of sleep at night and I'll continue to be silent in the mornings because it's better than yelling at everyone to shut up and let me go back to bed.

3. I will stop procrastinating. (You can see how well that's going considering it's the 6th and I'm just now writing out my New Year's resolutions today.) I know what I'll do! Instead of calling it procrastination which sounds so negative and nasty, I'll just call it "selective action". Yes, that's better.

Voila! My New Year's Resolutions are done. Time for bed. Oh wait! I don't have to go to bed yet. I only need to get 4 hours of sleep. I can stay up and procrastin, um, selectively take action on the chores I need to do.

17 comments:

Laura G said...

You don't mind if I just copy your list for my own, and substitute my own children's names, do you?
Happy New Year! This is the big year after 39 for me too, although I'm December!

Dawna said...

Seriously...get your gall bladder checked out. It's a simple out patient procedure and if you don't get it checked out, then the consequences can be pretty severe. If you have gall bladder problems, they will eventually cause issues with your bile duct...and guess where the bile duct leads? the liver....guess what you can't live without....YOUR LIVER. Please 'take action' on this. Your kids need you.

Marissa L. Swinghammer said...

How about instead of a resolution you give yourself a gift for next year? I didn't resolve to lose weight last year but I did decide to give myself the gift of eating better food and being more active. And I ended up losing about 25lbs and that isn't it either. Resolutions are too discouraging to me because when I eventually misstep I feel bad and end up quitting. Gifts are a lot more forgiving.

Anonymous said...

My list is very similar to yours however rather than set a certain goal for weightloss I am only going week by week I have actually started drinking water :( (i never drink water EVER) and I also heard that if you leave 3 bites of food on your plate for every meal by the end of the week you have eaten 100 calories less. Good luck I know I will definately need it....sasha-bctx

Lisa said...

Well I have already blown all of mine. But I am working out with the Wii fit plus and I am cutting back on the sugars and junk so I am in totally in the crapper yet.

Robin said...

Hey Dawn ~ If you're really serious about your weight-loss goals this year I know a great plan that REALLY does work. Michael Thurmond's 6-week body makeover. I'm not a spokesperson for them but I should be. Almost 2 years ago my hubby ordered this program and we both started on it. I LOVED it!! It's based on your specific metabolism type so you choose the meal plan that works for you. Honestly, I'm usually skeptical about these things - unless I had seen the results for myself I would not have believed it. This program takes your metabolism and starts it on FIRE! All with eating foods that work together and are healthy, easy to prepare and don't require a trip to some hard to reach health food store to purchse. You should check it out. The website is www.mybodymakeover.com
As good as you are about reviewing things, maybe you can get them to send you the program for free and you can review it. It really is amazing!! I lost 90 lbs and am in the best shape of my life. I don't have any before pics of me on my facebook page but you can check out my after pics there. I started exercising when I started the program. I mainly run but the program maps out exercises that work for your body type and the trouble areas specific to you. Again, I really do love this program. If you decide to try it I can give you some pointers that made it easier.
Good luck!
Robin Wheaton

Lyuda said...

"Selective action", I like that. LOL I am so using that term instead of procrastination. And "I'm way too smart for one person" idea is so hilarious! I like your master plan. It IS a win-win situation and I just might use it myself. :-)

Rick said...

I think you'll like my most recent post. (Just saying)

Gayle B in NC said...

Dawn,

I totally understand the weight loss thing. I was just diagnosed with high blood pressure, so now it's either lose weight or die...I'm going for the lose weight option.

Also, about your gall bladder: I ignored mine for 8 years and ended up being rushed in for emergency surgery a couple of months ago....gallstone the size of an egg that was totally blocking my liver...which could have caused some serious problems. I know it's rough when you have kids to have to take a few days for yourself....but seriously, go have your gall bladder checked...it's not worth the pain and the complications it could cause in the end if you don't.

Wishing you and your family a very happy 2010. Best of luck with your resolutions!

Kristen said...

i'm trying SO HARD to be more cheerful this year. mostly based on my behavior between the time I drag my sorry self out of bed and the time I drop my kids off at school.

so far so good! But then....school hasn't started yet.

April said...

I didn't know women could be 39...I thought we all stopped at 29...if we don't stop at 29 that eans I am reaching a milestone year too...

Michelle said...

Ahhhh, now that's a great resolution list. I especially like the silent part. If only I could be silent. But there are two little creatures who demand that I talk to them in the morning. *sigh*

Pammie said...

I don't let New Year's Resolutions make me depressed when I don't stick to them. It's kind of like buying a lottery ticket. I never know if I'm going to win (accomplish) anything, but at least I put some effort into it. I buy a ticket - I wrote some goals down. SMILE - I think you can do everything you set out to do.

Anonymous said...

Am having a horrible time getting this to you...FB won't let me on, the first time I tried sending this I don't think it went through because I tried to sign in on the wrong account and I lost your email address...bottom line, you want help living a healthier life head to www.sparkpeople.com and get the founder's book: http://www.amazon.com/Spark-28-Day-Breakthrough-Getting-Transforming/dp/1401926452/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262938767&sr=8-1

Brenda said...

Instead of procrastination I think you should call it "contemplating your options"

Eva said...

Number 2 sounds like straight from my life - the thing about getting 8 hrs sleep, getting up early and coffee! haha you are such a funny person! have a good day and I hope you will keep your resolutions! :)

Chris from Mukwonago said...

Dawn,
Don't keep suffering because of your gall bladder! After 2 trips to the emergency room with gall bladder attacks I had it remove in October. I was worried, but it really was a minor procedure. I didn't even have to take any prescription pain meds after. Took off of work for less than a week. It's so much better to get it taken care of on your own schedule than to have emergency surgery where they may have to cut you open instead of doing it lathroscopically.

Best wishes! I really enjoy your blog and book!

Who's Visiting My Blog Right Now?

 
Home About Dawn Blog Books News & Events Press Kit Contact

Dawn Meehan 2008-. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design by Jones House Creative