Sunday, June 28, 2009

Sunday Sound Out

Frooooom Chicago, where Dawn has less than 48 hours to finish the rewrites on her pregnancy book tentatively titled "You'll Lose the Baby Weight (And Other Lies About Pregnancy & Childbirth)", it's Sunday Sound Out!

When are you going to do another video blog?
Here's my latest video blog where I pull Lexi's tooth. Yep, I'm one of those moms. I hate to see dangly little teeth and insist on pulling my kids' teeth when they get that loose. Thankfully, due to the lure of money from the tooth fairy, my kids usually happily let me pull their teeth for them. You can check the video out here...


I'll have some more video blogs coming soon. I didn't give them much to work with however, because I lost a tape! I had an hour of awesome material and I can't find it to save my life. I'm still hoping it'll just appear one day soon.

Here's a SSO question for you--how do you ever find time for yourself? I just had my 3rd baby 6 weeks ago, and I have a 3 year old and a 5 year old. Since the baby arrived, I can barely find time to eat a sandwich or spend 5 minutes checking my email during the day. My only reprieve is when my husband is done working and I basically throw the kids at him and say "They're all yours!". I'm having difficulty even finding time to fold a load of laundry without one of them needing SOMETHING, or else I have a squabble to break up before there is bloodshed, or the dog needs to go out NOW, or we're late for something already. I never knew adding one more kid to the mix would add 10x the work! How do you handle it with SIX?!?! You are my hero for the simple fact that you're still sane after all that.
Duct tape and rum.
Ok, seriously, I'll tell you what people told me back when I was in the trenches with 3 young kids. It will get easier! Of course, if you're like I was back then, you won't believe a word of it. Going from 2 to 3 was the hardest leap for me. It's tough. You don't have any time to yourself and you won't for a while. But it does get better. I promise. One day you'll be able to read an entire book that doesn't rhyme. And yes, I have 6, but 2 of those are teenagers and they help me a ton. Hang in there. Come here for a laugh. Trade stories with your girlfriends. And know that it does get easier.

Hey. I would like to send you my book to be signed i might sound stupid but what does SASE mean? Also can you give me the address to send it to please. thanks
SASE stands for Self-Addressed Stamped Envelope. Just send me return postage and the return address so I can mail the book back to you. You can sends books here -

Dawn Meehan
836 S. Arlington Heights Rd.
box 230
Elk Grove Village, IL 60007

Or you can always order a book signed by me HERE.

Also another question if someone wanted to get an autographed book from the website you posted. Is it signed by you? or just a sticker put on.
It's signed by the one and only me! :D

Did you make any special efforts to potty train your children or did you wait until it was mostly their idea?
Oooo! I wrote a potty training post almost 2 years ago HERE. I really pushed the issue with Austin because I was stupid he was my first and I didn't know any better. It was disastrous. The other 5 trained themselves. They ranged in age from 2 to 3 1/2, but they all potty trained overnight with very few accidents when they decided they were ready.

Dear Dawn, no, seriously, how do you strikeout words? I try, but it's not on my blogger options!
OK, pay attention because it seems like I get this question every stinkin' week often.

Before the word you want crossed out, type the "less than" sign, then letters D, E, L, then the "greater than" sign.
After the word you want crossed out, type the "less than" sign, then this slash /, then the letters D, E, L, then and "greater than" sign.

Dawn-when was the last time you went 36 whole hours without changing a diaper? You must be amazed with all the extra time you have now ;-)
Nope, my time is now just spent setting Brooklyn on the toilet seat and wiping her butt.

Yay, Joe! Do your kids realize what wonderful parents they have??? SURE they do, right? ;)
Oh yeah. They tell us all the time how great we are. They thank me for watching out for their health when I make them eat their vegetables. They thank me for teaching them cleanliness when I make them clean their rooms. They thank me for teaching them responsibility when I make them do their homework and chores before playing. They thank Joe for making them ask before rummaging around his work bench and taking his tools. Yep, they just think we're awesome.

I don't get it! You could (and still can) eat off my mother's floor, but I'm not sure my floor is fit for even a mouse!
You could eat off my floor! You know, because there are so many crumbs and stuff stuck to it. There's probably a whole meal down there.

#14 For husbands only. Eat your ice cream as quietly as possible, because clinking the spoon against the bowl and making chewing sounds while eating your ice cream can sound like "nails on a chalkboard". At least to this wife!
Good point, Jen! I'd almost forgotten about that one. Maybe we should let the guys take the kids camping by themselves this summer. You and I could head to a spa. ;)

How many hours a day do you spend cleaning up after your children??
Far less than I spend trying to teach them to clean up after themselves!

With mess after mess how do you not just shut down and leave it where it is?
Yeah, ummm, about those pretzels that spilled on the floor a couple days ago...

And now, I must get back to my book and finish it up before my editor reads this and realizes I'm still not done with it!

15 comments:

Sandy in Illinois said...

Love the title for your 2nd book.

noexcuses said...

I love reading your SSO, both the questions and your answers. Your wonderful sense of humor, as well as your patience for anwering a questions for the 100th time, really shine through your answers.

Best of luck with your deadline! Can't wait to read it and compare notes!

Anonymous said...

My husband and two boys just got back from a weekend camping by themselves...if you can swing it, I highly recommend it! It was cut a bit short this year, what with the tornadoes that swept through CT on Friday night delaying their departure until Saturday morning (since when does the northeast have to worry about tornadoes?!!), but the little over 24 hours I had in an empty, albeit dirty, house was pure heaven!
~Laura

thoughts and ramblings said...

oh my gosh...the video of the tooth pulling. EEKS>

my 5 year old has her very first loose tooth. I wasn't ready for this and I don't know how I'm going to do it when the time comes to pull it out. That grosses me out so much. hahahah

what's a tooth go for these days??? I'm sure you've spent tons of money on teeth with 6 kids. lol

Anne

Mark said...

THAT was a lovely video,but tell me please, WHAT is the going rate these days for the Tooth Fairy?
You've probably already heard about the kid who woke up as her father was placing a dollar bill under her pillow. Now she is telling everyone that he DADDY is a fairy!
Have a Grand Day!!

Jessica Samantha said...

Thank you so much for teaching me how to strikeout! Very nice of you, and I love the title of your second book! Sounds very interesting!

MaranathaMom said...

hah! I like the not clicking the bowl advice. My husband wakes me up every morning with his cereal bowl. I swear his LOUD EATING is the reason our 3 yr old has adopted 6:30 as her new wake up call when she used to sleep in until 9am... ;(

Michelle said...

Ok, I need some tooth advice (although is Lex destined for braces with a tooth growing in behind or does it move on its own or?...): Mister Man has his very first loose tooth. How long before it comes out? What do I do to ummm encourage him? How long before the next tooth comes in to replace it?

And YAY to being just about done with book #2 -- love the title btw!

Christy said...

Lexi is such a beautiful girl! The title of your next book is great!
To answer some of the other comments, my kids are excited to get one of the gold dollar coins when they lose a tooth, but I know my friends are leaving $5 bills! Also, I freaked out a bit when my daughter seemed to be growing a second row of teeth at 7 years old. The new ones were coming in behind the baby teeth who seemed like they weren't leaving anytime soon, but they did fall out. Our dentist said the tongue works to push the adult teeth into place.
BTW, love reading the SSO every week!

Julie said...

Hey Dawn!
You may have mentioned this on your website before, but I flipped open my Parenting (School Years) magazine and saw your face and name on the GoodNites advertisement for their new LiteNights campaign. I'll have to check out that site to read more about it (it's an issue 2 of my kids struggle with). You don't have to name names, but have any of your kids had night-time issues with staying dry??

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

OMG, love the video!!! Lexi is a DOLL!! She never gets enough screen time! LOL! My Diva would NEVER EVER IN A MILLION years let me get that close to a loose tooth, and if she hears the word BLOOD, she FREAKS OUT!

Lexi's friend is a very good friend to help get her tooth out!

MaBunny said...

LOL, I love the title for your new book!

Shellie said...

The video is too cute. Her mouth is almost exactly like one of mine, with an empty space on one side, and a tooth growing behind another. The rest of your soundout? I totally agree w/ your responses.

Flea said...

Okay, here's a silly question:

I haven't been to your site in forever (it's the ADD in me), but a friend recently loaned me her copy of your book, so I'm visiting and laughing.

If I send the book to you with a SASE with my friend's return address on it, would that just be crazy? It's not signed, but she loves your site and your book.

After I'm done reading it, of course.

mj said...

Love the video of the tooth pulling!

We use baking soda on the tip of a finger to pull teeth out. It's a trick that goes back generations in my family. My Grandmother use to say to us "just a little soda on the tooth and it will POP out!" We truly believed that it was the baking soda that made the tooth pop out...LOL In fact we concentrated so much on the taste of baking soda, we didn't realize that she was actually pulling the tooth.

I remember the first time I pulled my oldest son's tooth using baking soda, I paused for a moment of silence in memory of my Grandmother before actually pulling the tooth. :-)

Who's Visiting My Blog Right Now?

 
Home About Dawn Blog Books News & Events Press Kit Contact

Dawn Meehan 2008-. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design by Jones House Creative