Saturday, June 6, 2009

Sunday Sound Out

It's time, once again, for Sunday Sound Out, the part of the show where I answer viewer mail.

First, congratulations to Vicki Vaught who won a copy of Because I Said So in Jen Singer's The Housewife Awards on MommaSaid.net. You can check out her winning story HERE!

I'm still wondering how you cut the lipgloss cake. Did you have to set it on its side? Cut it in half from the top down and then set each half cut side down? Just trying to figure out how you would cut it so each piece has frosting.
You didn't like last week's answer that I used a knife to cut it? OK, the lipgloss cake was actually 8 small 6-inch cakes stacked up. Between every 2 cakes, I put a cardboard circle and dowel rods for support. See the nifty diagram I just slapped together on which I slaved for hours drawing to scale. When it came time to cut it, I just cut through 2 layers at a time, then removed the cardboard and dowels and cut through the next 2 layers.
I can't believe how much your kids look alike! You put them by age in reverse order, right? Brooklyn at the top; Austin at the bottom? I HAVE to know!
Yep! Very good! I'm impressed. I don't even think my family could get them all right.

So someone asked me, if there is going to be a translation [of Because I Said So into other languages] -- so is there?
I don't think so. But I ouldcay obablypray anslatetray itay intotay Igpay Atinlay oweverhay.

I just have an SSO question. Have you had to change your phone number or other personal info due to all this fame?
Yes, I've changed my name and am now answering to Ed.

oh so cool - um, I didn't know you could play these games on an ipod??? Will an ipod nano work?
I'm sorry. I should've been more specific. The apps I talked about are for an iPod Touch or an iPhone.

SSO: When do your kids get out of school? Are they doing any camps this summer? How will you keep them occupied? Send all your suggestions my way... Nothing worse than 5 kids saying, "I'm bored."
They still have another week to go. I don't have them signed up for any camps or summer school or anything. I just like to let everyone have a break from the routine in the summer. I don't have much planned. I'm more of a "fly by the seat of my pants" kinda gal. I'm sure we'll visit the zoo a few times, hang out at the local pool, go downtown a time or two, and probably do some camping. I like having our days free for impromptu get-togethers with friends and day trips to museums or waterparks and such.

If they tell me they're bored, I'll give them something to do to break up the monotony... something like folding laundry or cleaning the bathrooms or memorizing the periodic table of elements.

Oh yeah! My friend Denise sent me this resource. Check it out to see if there are any participating lanes in your area. You can sign the kids up at your local bowling alley and each kid will receive 2 free games of bowling every day, all summer long. Check this site for details, but it's a pretty awesome deal! KidsBowlFree.com

Please tell me you didn't get that mess of seafood from the Italian Village! I would be so disappointed if you did! It looks like you might have been eating outside though, so it couldn't be Italian Village....whew.
It was Volare and the food (other than the ocean on a plate) was really good. But I agree, Italian Village is my favorite! You can't beat that atmosphere!

*Come and knock on our door, we've been waiting for you, where the kisses are hers! and hers! and his! Three's Company, too*
Now I'm going to have that song in my head all day. :-)
I hadn't even THOUGHT of the song till you sang it and now it's in MY head too! Thanks!

Your pictures of the city make me want to just go downtown and be a tourist for the day! I love this city!!! (I just don't like driving in it!)
Neither do I! That's why I take the train. You meet interesting characters on the train! Like this old guy who was wearing pirate pants. For some reason, it amused me to see little jolly rogers all over his shorts.




Or Hanukkah Harry (I met him in December).

The sign is because people were getting their purses stolen off the hook on bathroom doors while they were "indisposed" ;)
Really? And here I thought there were really attack purses on the loose in the city!

I have a question, is there a way to get your blog posts sent in their entirety to email anymore?
Yep, give it another day and it'll be back to the way it was. :)
(Wow! My spell check really didn't like that Pig Latin!)

15 comments:

Tammy said...

Dawn, thanks for the cake cutting illustration. Now I get it. :o)

Mississippi Mommy said...

Love the Pretty Woman quote! That's one of my favorite movies. The shopping scene is the best.

Frau Mahlzahn said...

****So someone asked me, if there is going to be a translation [of Because I Said So into other languages] -- so is there?
I don't think so. But I ouldcay obablypray anslatetray itay intotay Igpay Atinlay oweverhay.****

*lol*.

That's too bad anyway, because I know lots of people who would really like to read it, but don't know enough English. And Erma Bombeck was really popular over here, too -- everybody knows her books, and they were translated, ;-).

Take care,
Corinna

Jessica said...

Potential Time Saver:
Since you already have to read the comments before they are posted, it might be easier to answer any SSO questions at the same time. You could save them to a Word file. Then on Sunday all you have to do is post them. It would be a little more work up front, but it would also leave you one day of peace. (In terms of having to come up with something for your blog, that is.)

By the way, I still can't believe you answer peoples' questions every week. Especially the lame ones.

pednurse said...

I'm very excited to have won your book....can't wait to read it! With all the things my 2 kids do to make life interesting, I can't imagine what my life would be like if I had 6!

ClistyB said...

those Jolly Roger shorts are for sale at the Gap. Wait, its either there or at Target. Maybe both. Either way I thought about getting them for my 4 year old scoundrel.

Tracy said...

My son (9) has the jolly rogers shorts, he wore them to school and got sent home for having weapons on his clothing. I tried saying they are Pirate themed, but they weren't buying it.

Michelle said...

Wow, Dawn. You rock. Weaselmomma and I may skip Harper and just come straight to you for the cake decorating lessons. You know... in all your spare time ;)

I LOVE that you took close up pictures of his pants without him noticing. Go you!

And Choo Choo Cafe! Totally gotta do the Choo Choo!

Tara said...

LOL, love the cake illustration. So how many people are going to tell you it looks like...well you know. SSO are my favorite posts. Some very interesting questions from some very odd people.

noexcuses said...

I live for your answers to the lame questions! (I don't ask any questions for fear they may end up on SSO!)

I once was introduced to the "Buhuddy Wahody" language, but it made me dizzy trying to translate.

Love the cake!

terri512g said...

mmy son has those pants with the skulls on them and a shirt too, we got them in Target near all the pretty pastel Easter outfits.

Anonymous said...

aughinglay outya oudlay....orya oodgay *inkway*

Ellen said...

love the free bowling site- thanks so much for passing that on! as always, you rock!

btw, my 5 yr old daughter carries around your book as her "reading" complete with a book mark. I have to ask to borrow it to read a couple pages and I always start lol and she says "what are you laughing at?" (repeat 20 to the nth power of times) until I try to explain something that satisfies the 5yr old logic. Anyway, funny to find your book all over my house. It's like where's waldo on any given day where I will find your book tucked away:-)

Anonymous said...

Haha... I just saw some of those pants with the pirates on them at a store... Who would really buy those?? lol

Dazy said...

These are just fantastic crafts - my kids would just love this. Bookmarking it for them, will show when they come back from hostel.

Who's Visiting My Blog Right Now?

 
Home About Dawn Blog Books News & Events Press Kit Contact

Dawn Meehan 2008-. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design by Jones House Creative