Saturday, October 31, 2009

Happy Halloween!

First, I want to thank everyone for their kind words of support. Thank you to everyone who took the time to leave an encouraging comment or email. I can't possibly express what it means to me. I appreciate it more than you'll ever know. I am so blessed to have such a huge group of cyber friends. :*)

And thank you for being patient with me this week while I worked out some issues and decisions in my head. I could write a book longer than the Bible filled with stories of hurt and disappointment over the last 18 years. I've chosen not to. I'm not one to wallow in self-pity because no matter how bad things might be, there is ALWAYS someone out there who has it worse. I really am more of a half-full kinda person. Why dwell on the negative? It just tears you apart and makes you feel bad. I always try to look on the positive side and find the humor in the things that would otherwise frustrate us. I'd much rather laugh than cry and I think most people would agree with that.
Thank you for all your letters of concern for my kids and the flu. They're all fine now. I think the meds really did speed up healing for them and none of them had any complications. I could feel your prayers of strength and healing. And I escaped the flu altogether. I was really sick this past spring and I remember joking around that I "probably had swine flu". Looking back now, I think I really did have it then. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have escaped it this time around with Brooklyn coughing in my face 40,000 times.

Now, onto lighter things...


Brooklyn changed her mind about what she wanted to be a million times. The night before Hallween, I pulled 3 dresses out of the dress-up box and said, "Which one?" She opted for Sleeping Beauty.

Last Halloween, Lexi informed me that she wanted to be Darth Vader this year. I thought for sure she'd change her mind, but nope. So, Darth Vader she was.

Clay picked the Stitch costume that Jackson wore a few years ago. Everyone said it fit his personality. Hmmm...



And here's Jackson (or Jackie, as we're calling him now). I told Jackson it takes a lot of guts to dress up like your sister. How weird is it that he fit in his little sister's mini skirt?
Hope everyone had a nice week and a fun Halloween with the kids!

32 comments:

Lisa said...

Stitch ROCKS! He's my fave Disney character and I have a Stitch Elvis Jack 0-Lantern. Yes, I need help. LOL!

Keeley said...

Hahahahahaahaaa! Jackson as his sister is AWESOME! =)

God bless you for your positive attitude. You can do it, Dawn, whatever icky stuff you're facing. We're all thinking of you and praying for you.

Bailey's Leaf said...

So glad that everyone is up, out and moving about! Hey, they have to pay their mama back for all of the caretaking by schlepping and getting some candy, yes?

Again, thank you for sharing all of your family gunk with us. We can't pray about it if we don't know.

Shelly said...

Where's the photo of you and Savannah dressed up? :)

Sandy in Illinois said...

Way to go Jackson! (Jackie)

Donna said...

God bless you, Dawn.

MaBunny said...

HAHAHAHA! I'm so happy everyone is well Dawn. Sorry I had to giggle at the kiddos - they are so cute and I can't get over 'Jackie"! That kid has guts, lol. Hope you had a great Halloween!

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh! Jackson is awesome!

Anonymous said...

Great costumes! "Jackie" looks especially adorable!! Save that picture -- his prom date is gonna LOVE it! ;o)

Happy Halloween!!

Donna in PA :)

Suburban Correspondent said...

2 princesses and 2 pirates - easiest Halloween ever!

kim @ mommyknows said...

Great costumes!

I have my very own Brooklyn, who went from fashion girl, to witch with a dog girl, to a dalmatian, and then at the last minute ... girl scratched by a lion (go figure?).

Have a great weekend!

Unknown said...

I have had you all in my prayers all week. And I am happy to hear all the kids are well now.

Anyway, I love these pictures of the kids ! And 'Jackie' is my favorite. LOL.
Great picture for the 'memory' book.

Take care.....what you have went thru takes a toll on you mentally and physically.

Hugs, Donna from Indiana

Robin said...

I can only imagine how crazy things have been for you this week (or weeks). I'm glad you were able to take some time to enjoy Halloween with the kids.

Hang in there. There are lots of prayers being sent your way.

Anonymous said...

I love it!!! IT takes a great kid to dress like his sister!!! You made my night!!!

Anonymous said...

Glad the kids were well enough to have fun today. They all look great!
Can't even imagine what you're going through...Know that I'm continuing to pray at this end!
Isaiah 26:3-4 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee. Trust ye in the LORD for ever: for in the LORD JEHOVAH is everlasting strength.

Gayle said...

Dawn,
So glad the kids are doing better and you escaped it altogether. The kids look fantastic....way to go Jackson, love the mini skirt!

Anonymous said...

LUV it!!!

Elleah said...

That is so funny that he dressed up like a girl! I'm thinking he might regret that picture in a few years. :)

Carol from Iowa said...

Dawn,
Thank you so much for sharing so much of your family with us. You have been in my prayers all week. I love the pics of the kids on Halloween. Especially "Jackie". Your kids ROCK!

B said...

LOVE Jackson dressed as his sister!!! OMGosh, that is sooo funny! Glad everyone is better. Take Care Dawn. :)

Wendi said...

Like all your other bazillion readers, I'm impressed with your positive attitude, Dawn. I'm thankful to read that you survived this week and that your kids have recovered from their illnesses. I hope that everything will work out for the best with you and your husband. Thanks for all the humor you share with your readers. :)

Unknown said...

Girl Darth Vaders ROCK! We had one come to our door last night, too. Good thing you didn't have a boy Princess Leia, though. Jackson as Lexi was blackmail material enough! (although he did look awesome!)

Did Austin and Savannah opt out this year?

So glad you all are well...I'm in the midst of agonizing over whether the first dose of the H1N1 mist I got my boys last week was the right thing to do...no complications yet, but I'm so on the fence as to whether the actual flu would be worse than what could happen from such a new vaccine. And now, since they're under 9, they both need round two of it in three weeks. Oh well, fingers crossed!

Thanks for sharing your Halloween with us!

Michelle said...

Glad everyone's doing better -- andd that includes you!

Love the costumes, as always. I almost had a goblin because Little Miss insisted at the end but ummm momma don't do that. So she was Tink. I love the recycled costumes. Fingers crossed Little Miss wants to be Spidey next year because he's outgrown the costume after two years of use, sadly. Ok, so he outgrew it after one year but he wore it again this year anyway. Shhh.

Anonymous said...

Dawn, did you know your picture is on the Chicago Tribune's homepage today? They're using a picture of you with a lapton with an article about watching tv shows online. There's no mention of you in the article, though. It's in the business section, check it out!

~kps

kschafer@wideopenwest.com

Brian O'Mara-Croft said...

I enjoy your blog...lots of funny pics. Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

I just saw the picture of you on the Chicago Tribune website! How cool!!!

Lisa F.

Petra said...

Well two thumbs up for Jackson! My nephew (me, I have only one daughter) wouldn't be caught being impersonating a girl ;)

This Crazy Thing Called Motherhood said...

Wow, that is so awesome that Jackson is secure/brave enough to dress up as a girl for Halloween. Rock on, Jackson!! :-)

Lindie said...

My daughter Stacie, with 6 kids of her own down in TX, told me about your blog. Just what I needed more kids to worry about! cute costumes! You are right, there are always more people with worse problems. One of Stacie's classmates died last Monday and her husband died 36 hours later, leaving 2 little ones without parents.

Sandy in Illinois said...

I too thought that it was you and Clayton on the Chicago Tribune home page. No mention of who was in the picture but it looked like you. Do you use a MAC laptop? It must have been taken awhile ago because Clay is much smaller.

This Mom said...

I had to laugh... if you check out my blog my SON also wore his younger sister's clothes as his halloween costume. But mine put on PINK tights.

Glad to see my is just being normal.

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

Sorry, but Jackie looks ADORABLE

Who's Visiting My Blog Right Now?

 
Home About Dawn Blog Books News & Events Press Kit Contact

Dawn Meehan 2008-. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design by Jones House Creative