Sunday, March 24, 2019

Misty Water Colored Memories

Recently on my Timehop (If you're unfamiliar, Timehop is an app that curates all the photos and posts you've put on social media over the years.) there was a post about Lexi breaking her arm. Two days later, there was a post that said I was on my way to the hospital with Lexi, followed by a post saying that she was out of surgery and everything had gone well. This happened ten years ago. I could not, for the life of me, remember her having surgery on her broken arm. Then again, I can't remember what I had for lunch today so that's not really saying much.

How could I have forgotten something like my kid having surgery? I asked the group chat that my family has if any of them remembered. The only response I got was something about the government implanting false memories to brainwash us. That was from Jackson's girlfriend, Summer. (Clearly, it didn't take her long fall in with my crew.) But I couldn't let it go. It was bugging me to no end until I realized that I had likely blogged about it. I quickly searched my blog for the date in question and lo and behold, I found it! Lexi broke two bones in her arm and the orthopedist put her under general anesthesia in order to set it properly. After reading the post about her broken arm, I continued reading, laughing at post after post of my kids' antics. Like Lexi's surgery, I hadn't remembered a lot of the things I'd written about. (I warn my kids often that they'll be taking care of me when I completely lose my mind.) Although it's disconcerting when I can't recall something I ought to remember, I'm so appreciative of my blog now! I mean, back in the day, this blog generated an income, a book deal, and more trips, freebies, and perks than I can count. It gave laughs and comfort to other moms in the trenches. And it provided an outlet for me to vent when my kids did stuff like make a "skating rink" from water and bubble soap on my kitchen floor, color the walls with yogurt, the TV with Sharpie, and each other with paint, or when one shoved a Tic-Tac up his nose, or gouged her name into the side of my van with a nail, . But now, it's this amazing scrap book of memories. I have 1570 posts written over the past 11 years that I can reread whenever I want!

You know how people always tell you to slow down and enjoy your time with your kids when they're little because it goes by so fast? That isn't entirely accurate. Really, you should slow down and enjoy your time with your kids when they're little because when they're grown, you won't remember a darn thing from their younger days! 

I tell my daughter a story and she gives me an exasperated sigh accompanied by, "Mom, you already told me this yesterday."
My son will ask me, "Remember the time we dismantled the playground and propped the slide against the house, then jumped out our bedroom window and slid to the ground?" and I gaze at him vacantly, as I try desperately to recall the incident in question. It seems vaguely familiar but I can't recall if it really happened, if I saw it on some sitcom, or if it was just a bad dream. I'm sure my kids look at me and think - there's a tree stump in a Louisiana swamp with a higher IQ than you.

I can't even tell you how many times I've uttered the phrase, "I"m going to pick Savannah up from water polo" this month. And every time, one of my kids will respond with, "Savannah? Really, Mom? Savannah hasn't played water polo for 5 years. She doesn't live with us." Then they'll throw in a, "Remember?" for good measure because I'm pretty sure they truly believe I don't remember that Savannah moved out years ago.


So, my advice to you is - enjoy those crazy days when your kids are young. Appreciate every sticky, messy, crazy, embarrassing moment. Because those days go by so fast one day, you won't remember your kids' names or the fact they tried to leave their brother at the store, or that they painted the dog blue, or that they accidentally knocked an egg out of a robin's nest and replaced it with a chicken egg and a marshmallow peep.



4 comments:

Suburban Correspondent said...

Amen to this! My blog is my scrapbook of memories, full of funny things that happened that I would have forgotten about otherwise. Maybe my kids will like to read it when they are older, with their own kids. Or maybe not - maybe I'll just sit there when I'm old and read it and sigh over glorious days gone by...

Vanessence7 said...

I have missed your blog. :)

Savannah moved out?! Holy cow! When did she grow up?!!

<3

Ernie said...

My kids were sitting in a hot tub on vacation last night and started yelling across the patio to me 'ah ah accappella, accappella' and they could not stop laughing. I stared at them blankly. They reminded me of a contestant on Americas Got Talent and how we all made fun of it. I could not recall and it was just last summer. Ugh. I wish I had started blogging earlier. They definitely provided me plenty of material. My kid wrote his brother's name across their bunkbeds 8 yrs ago with deoderant. Took the finish off the nice furniture so his name is still there. Sigh.

~Tammy~ said...

Oh my! It's so true. I realized I have some 1100+ blog posts from the past 10 years a couple of weeks ago. (I have a *huge* following of almost 10 people!)
I was scanning over my post titles and one intrigued me. So I went and re-read it. I laughed so much. The way my kids look(ed) at life.
Then I read the two comments, and cried all afternoon.
One comment was from one of my older sons. It was exactly one year to the day before his death.
But hey, I HAVE this blog, a journal with all the memories. The laughter and the tears and the joy and sorrows. The silly poems and rants over stupid things. MY memories for when my brain fails me or my grand daughter wants to read something her Daddy wrote...

Who's Visiting My Blog Right Now?

 
Home About Dawn Blog Books News & Events Press Kit Contact

Dawn Meehan 2008-. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design by Jones House Creative