Tuesday, March 12, 2019

50 By 50

I turned 49 on Sunday. For the first time. Honestly. 

It came and went with all the pomp and circumstance a single mom would expect - errands, laundry, cooking, cleaning . . . 

Anyway, I figure since I'll be 50 Forty-Nine Part 2: Electric Boogaloo next year, I should probably have an idea of what I want to do when I grow up. I mean, I've always been a procrastinator, but even I have to admit that it's a bit ridiculous to be nearly 50 years old and unhappy with yourself. To that end, I came up with a bucket list of sorts. Or well, notsomuch a bucket per se. It's really more of a small measuring cup. Still . . .

I will lose 50 pounds by the time I'm 50. That's a pound a week. Completely achievable, if not challenging. Note I wrote that "I will lose 50 pounds", not "I want to lose 50 pounds." Because I have wanted to for pretty much all of my adult life. Clearly, wanting and doing are two entirely different things.

I'm extraordinarily unhappy with my appearance. I would go so far as to say I hate the way I look. I saw a picture of myself taken at the Support Person of the Year banquet and I cried. I legitimately cried. I mean, I know I'm fat, but seeing it right there on paper absolutely disgusted me. I have lost the same 10 pounds a hundred times in my life. I'm done.

I will write 50 blog posts by the time I'm 50. It's a far cry from the 324 posts I wrote in 2008, but it's more than the 5 I wrote in 2016.

I like the school and the kids where I work. I like my job. I'm not passionate about it though. And I detest the commute. Like many of us, I don't get up and think - I can't wait to get to work! I miss writing. Nothing makes me happier than getting comments from people saying that something I wrote made them think, or made them laugh, or let them know they aren't alone. I want to write. So, I'll start with a few blog posts.

I will do 12 random acts of kindness. Because - why not?

I will go on 12 dates. Unless the first one turns out to be with a psycho who tries to make a suit of my skin. Or he chews with his mouth open. Or he doesn't laugh. Hmmm, maybe I need to rethink this one. Maybe I should adopt 12 cats instead . . .






9 comments:

Debbie said...

I totally read the 12 random acts of kindness and the 12 dates as a single goal; that the *dates* were your random acts of kindness. Anyone else read it that way?

Happy Birthday! I am just a year younger than you are. I will try to get a jumpstart on my 50 pounds. Note that I did say try. You are not alone. I hope you feel better about it all. You always make me laugh; sometimes at you, but mostly at myself. My favorite is still to laugh WITH you. Thank you for keeping it real, and for sharing it.

Bonnie said...

Belated happy birthday! I had an issue with 49, too! (I'm heading towards my 54th birthday now.) I, too, decided that I needed to lose 50 pounds by my 50th birthday. I only lost 40 but it was better than the scale going the other way. You can do it!

How is Lexi? My daughter, too, has POTS. It is not something I'd wish on anyone.

Looking forward to your 50 posts! I always enjoy your writing.

Unknown said...

First off, I will tell you that I am 81. Last year I found the Ketogenic way of life and it has taken a little more than a year, but I finally can say that I have lost 50 pounds. I have been losing weight and then gaining it right back for my whole life. I have tried many diets from Weight Watchers to some of my own starvation-type programs that were less than effective. I have found Dr. Boz (Dr. Annette Bosworth, M.D.) on YouTube and have learned so many things about Keto and the research that is confirming that it is indeed a viable way to not only lose weight, but to keep it off. Most of all, I learned that it isn't my fault that I am insulin resistant because of all my diet journeys.

Please know that I have followed your blog for years and have enjoyed every post. I hope that someday you can just write and be able to make a living doing what you love.

Chris Sheely said...

Dawn, I lost 40 pounds in just under a year using myfitnesspal.com. If you haven't seen it, check it out. The best part is that at the end of the day it tells you what you'll weigh if "you eat this way every day". INCENTIVE every day. Worked for me! Good luck with your new "living" program!

Fredda said...

Happy Birthday! Looking forward to your 50 blog posts!

Queenie662 said...

I’m looking forward to more posts. I bought your first book and actually won your second book in one of your giveaways. Your writing always makes me laugh.

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday! Wishing you all the best in the next year. I always enjoy reading your blog and I can't wait to see what comes in the coming year. You are a wonderful writer and It's always great to see a new post.

Ernie said...

Dawn - Happy, happy birthday! I just turned 48, so I am right behind you. I babysit for teachers' kids during the school day, so I hear you on trying to figure out what I am going to do/enjoy doing. Sitting isn't it, but it helps with college tuition bills - either the people I sit for are crazy or their kids are a pain. I could write a book about babysitting stories, but right now am bound and determined to get my Irish dancing tell-all book published. When I find the time to write - almost impossible, I feel totally energized and filled up!

I cannot believe you don't feel happy with yourself - YOU have published books AND you write an amazing blog! What I wouldn't do for 7 comments (wink,wink, nudge,nudge) I have 6 kids too, and I find your writing, your perspective, and your spin on things positively hilarious!!! I love it when I see that you have posted something new. I have your blog feed in the margin of my blog, so I notice when something new appears. I am very excited about your 50 new posts. I am bracing for the belly laughs already. Love that Debbie thought 12 acts of kindness and 12 dates were one in the same. Good luck with the weight loss mission. You can do it! Oh, I would love for you to visit my blog - maybe that could be considered a random act of kindness?! :D

Pam Zercher said...

YAY for the more blogging! And HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY ��

I will give you no advice unless you ask but at *60* (which I never claim aloud) I lost 30 pounds. I wore a tight dress to an event last evening and SO DANG proud of how I looked. I can’t believe it took me that long to feel good about myself and loose the weight.

You CAN do it, Dawn! I’m so proud of you!

Who's Visiting My Blog Right Now?

 
Home About Dawn Blog Books News & Events Press Kit Contact

Dawn Meehan 2008-. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design by Jones House Creative