Thursday, April 11, 2013

Some Things Never Change


My third grader, Clayton made the A honor roll again for the third quarter. He’s come a long way from the kid who used to get in trouble all the time in kindergarten and first grade. I’ll never forget the day I picked him up from kindergarten and asked him, “How were you today? Did you get in trouble?”
He answered, “Nope, I was good.”
“Then why is your teacher walking out to the car?”
“I don’t know, go drive, drive, DRIVE!” he implored as he flipped himself over the seat into the back of my van.
Yep, that’s my Clay. He’s the comedian of the family and in this family, that’s really saying something.
So I was very proud to attend the honor roll celebration this morning. I clapped and shouted (because I’m embarrassing that way) when Clay walked up on stage to get his certificate. Clearly, it’s my stellar parenting that has enabled him to excel in school. They should probably give me a certificate too. You know, for being such an awesome mom. Only the best parents can raise straight A students. He’ll probably grow up to be a doctor. Or a lawyer. Or the president! I nearly sprained my arm patting myself on the back as I mused about Clay’s achievement and my obvious part in his accomplishment.
This afternoon I picked him up from school and he presented me with a paper. “Oh cool! What did you draw, Clay?”
I looked down and saw this -
“Wow, Clay. That’s um, wow. I’m not really sure what to say. Nice touch with the steam on the poop.”
Wisdom gained: Don’t take credit for your kids’ accomplishments or you’ll also have to own up to their ah, pictures of poop.

No comments:

Who's Visiting My Blog Right Now?

 
Home About Dawn Blog Books News & Events Press Kit Contact

Dawn Meehan 2008-. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design by Jones House Creative