Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Why Increasing School Hours Won't Solve the Education Problem in America

Kids (and I bet a fair number of parents) in Colorado, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New York and Tennessee are groaning tonight. These five states will be adding another 300 hours to the school year in 2013. The reason? To make U.S. schools more competitive on a global level. Now I'm no expert, but I don't believe that adding another 300 hours is going to do much to help American students to compete with their Indian and Asian peers. I do, however, see how this is going to tick off a lot of teachers.

CONTINUE READING HERE!

1 comment:

Min Soo Kim said...

I read in one of Malcolm Gladwell's books (I forget which one) that the monetary status of a family corresponds with the family's child's grades. This is because during the major breaks of the school year, wealthier families have the luxury of having their children be sent to camps, receive some sort of lessons, or go to summer schools to learn more materials for the future. The lapse in time for less fortunate families would be too compromising for their children. So I guess that all that needs to be done is to make the breaks shorter or maybe have the government provide more educational services to children which may actually allow children to graduate earlier and have them experience life at a younger age.

Who's Visiting My Blog Right Now?

 
Home About Dawn Blog Books News & Events Press Kit FAQS Photos Video Fun Mom's Time Out Get In Touch

Dawn Meehan 2008-. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design by Pulse Point Design