Sunday, December 16, 2012

My Top Ten Christmas Movies

One of my favorite holiday traditions is watching Christmas movies with my kids. There's just something about all those old classics that puts me in the Christmas spirit.

I guess I’m technologically inept because I had no idea that you could watch movies on the Xbox 360, until my kids, who apparently know everything, filled me in. But you can watch DVDs and Blu-Rays on the Xbox 360! You can even stream movies and TV shows from Netflix! With an Xbox LIVE membership, you can instantly stream your favorite TV shows, movies, and sports from ESPN. Netflix, Crackle, Amazon Instant Video, Epix and many more. Another cool feature is that you can start watching a movie on your TV and finish watching it on say, your iPad.

With Xbox SmartGlass, multiple devices can interact with each other, enhancing your viewing experience. From the Xbox website, “Your phone or tablet transforms into the ideal second screen companion to your TV as it automatically serves up extended experiences of your favorite TV shows, movies, music, games and sports. Interactive companion guides, behind-the scenes commentary, and real-time game strategy are just a taste of what you can unlock with Xbox SmartGlass.” That is SO Back to the Future, isn’t it?


So, this year we’re watching our favorite Christmas movies with our Xbox 360. Here are my top ten favorite Christmas movies.

IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE

It's a classic that should be watched year-round! It's not money that makes you rich.
Available from Amazon instant video

ELF

I just love this movie! "We elves try to stick to the four main food groups: candy, candy canes, candy corns and syrup."
Available from Amazon instant video

HOLIDAY INN

Okay, so maybe my kids aren't thrilled with this one, but I LOVE old movies!
Available from Amazon instant video

WHITE CHRISTMAS

And if you didn't get enough of Bing Crosby in Holiday Inn, you can watch him again in this classic. Nothing says Christmas like Bing singing White Christmas!
Available from Amazon instant video

ANYTHING BY RANKIN & BASS

These movies are so nostalgic to me. I loved all of them - The Year Without a Santa Claus, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, Santa Claus is Coming to Town, etc. when I was a kid, and I still enjoy watching them now.
Available from Amazon instant video

NATIONAL LAMPOON'S CHRISTMAS VACATION

I just love stupid-funny movies! Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead? By the way, when I was searching for this movie, I noticed moose-shaped, glass punch cups for sale (you know, in case any of you don't know what to get me.)
Available from Amazon instant video

The Nativity Story

Much like being at church on Christmas eve and singing by candlelight, the nativity story just warms my heart.
Available from Amazon instant video

A CHRISTMAS STORY

I really love the narration of this story. I'm not sure I'd want to watch it on a 24-hour loop, but I usually watch it once a year.
Available from Amazon instant video

A CHRISTMAS CAROL

I know there are at least 1000 versions of this story out there and I watch at least one of them every year. Bahumbug!
Available from Amazon instant video

WHILE YOU WERE SLEEPING

Maybe this isn't an official "Christmas movie", but it does take place during Christmas. Plus, it's set in Chicago so you can't beat that. This is one of my all-time favorite movies so I had to include it in my round-up. Funny, romantic, awesome!
Available from Amazon instant video

No comments:

Who's Visiting My Blog Right Now?

 
Home About Dawn Blog Books News & Events Press Kit Contact

Dawn Meehan 2008-. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design by Jones House Creative