Monday, July 16, 2012

The One in Which I Land in the Hospital

A little back story - I have a genetic clotting disorder. It makes my blood more likely to clot than the average person's. In 2005, when I was pregnant with Brooklyn, my leg became painful and swollen. I went to the ER where they did an ultrasound of my leg and discovered that I had a dozen blood clots in a superficial vein as well as a DVT (deep vein thrombosis). DVTs are scary because a clot can dislodge and travel to your lung causing a pulmonary embolism which can be fatal. I was in the hospital for a couple days while my doctor started blood thinners. I continued to give myself shots of blood thinners in my abdomen throughout my pregnancy. After I gave birth, my hematologist switched me to Coumadin which I took for a few months. A repeat ultrasound a few months after I'd given birth showed the clot to be dissolved so I was able to stop taking the blood thinners.

CONTINUE READING HERE!

1 comment:

Crazy Mom Tats! said...

A similar thing happened to my 23 yr old son recently as a result of a broken bone in his foot. His calf was killing him and he had trouble breathing. Fortunately, the ortho guy was able to get him in to the vascular folks that day, then into the ER. He ended up with 3 clots in his leg. They didn't scan his lungs because there would be no change in treatment whether he had a pulmonary embolism or not. He ended up on blood thinner injections for 10 days and is now on Coumadin for 6 months. But the clots are better and so is he!

Who's Visiting My Blog Right Now?

 
Home About Dawn Blog Books News & Events Press Kit FAQS Photos Video Fun Mom's Time Out Get In Touch

Dawn Meehan 2008-. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design by Pulse Point Design