Tuesday, March 8, 2011

If You're Hungry, Eat Your House

Clay cracks me up. Even when he's being mischievous, that kid makes me snort with laughter. I can't count how many times I've forced a stern look on my face when inside I want to high-five him for making me laugh.

Here's an art project Clay brought home from school the other day. They were learning about Abraham Lincoln for President's Day, so they made a log cabin out of pretzel rods. They were supposed to glue the penny to the window so it looked like Abe was looking out.



Except Clay glued the penny so it looks like the Lincoln Memorial is stuffed inside the log cabin.

"Hey Clay, what happened to your log cabin? It looks like it has suffered some significant termite damage."

"Huh?"

"It looks like someone has chewed through some of the logs in the cabin," I explained.

"Oh yeah, um, well, I was hungry."


"You know, we do have non-gluey pretzels here at home, hon."

"I didn't eat too much glue, Mom. See, I just ate the top part off the paper."

"Oh, well in that case. . ." I shook my head. "Remind me to pack you a snack for school tomorrow before you eat your crayons or something."




Then, Clay brought this gem home yesterday.



I looked at it and laughed. "The green dinosaur is eating the other guy's tail and he's looking back like, "DUDE! What are you doing?!"

Clay giggled and started singing, "It's raining BLOOD, hallelujah! It's raining BLOOD, hallelujah!"
Yep, he's perfectly well-adjusted.


But this morning, he presented me with this one when I first woke up.



Don't you adore those "I love you, Mom" drawings? For those of you who have young kids, appreciate those now because, I'm telling you, teens don't generally give you cute drawings that proclaim their undying love. Nope, teens tell you they love you when they want something - money, the car keys, a ride to the mall. . .

8 comments:

Jenner said...

What a great post, it made me completely laugh out loud. What a kid!

Kaia said...

That kid cracks me up, too! That last picture is definitely a keeper :)

Julie H said...

No kidding! My just turned 8 year old son was totally snuggling with me last night and I kept thinking I wonder how old he's going to be when he decides he's too old for snuggles.

Unknown said...

I'm loving that dino picture! Classic! Always love a kid with personality, who cares if some of the humour is 'naughty', one day you'll be able to laugh even when he's being cheeky, hopefully after the training you've given him the jokes will never be too risque!

Kim VanDerHoek said...

My son is just starting to draw pictures of recognizable objects. I can't wait until he's drawing pictures like Clay's. What a crack up!

V1nce said...

He ate his house, the dinosaurs are going cannabalistic... uh, better give him TWO snacks before his classmates go missing!

Unknown said...

Dawn, you're amazing and absolutely right. Treasure the love notes and the funny pictures because that phase doesn't last. I've got 6 kids too ranging from teens to preschool and it really is about treasuring those small moments.

Beth said...

I am still LOL at the log cabin that is all chewed on. Youy know sometimes you just have to eat. Good thing he tried to avoid too much glue.

Who's Visiting My Blog Right Now?

 
Home About Dawn Blog Books News & Events Press Kit Contact

Dawn Meehan 2008-. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design by Jones House Creative