Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Disney Day Five

Joe and I sat through our first (and likely last) time share presentation. When I booked this hotel, I was told that they'd knock several hundred dollars off the price if we'd agree to go for a 90 minute golf cart tour of the property. Although I wasn't keen on the idea of having my vacation interrupted by a time share talk, the savings were enough to make me agree to it (after I was assured that my kids could come along with us.)

Long story short - there was no golf cart. There was no tour. There was 90 minutes of talking. I'll admit that the salesperson wasn't annoying or pushy. I mean, of course she was trying to sell a time share unit, but she really wasn't overbearing. The whole plan sounds nice and I understand the benefits to it, but I had to tell her, "Um this is the first non-camping family vacation we've ever taken (other than when Savannah won a 3 day trip to Disney and when the PR folks at Discovery Cove sent us there - we didn't pay for either of those trips.)" I can see where this would be good for the families who vacation every year or every other year, but did you understand the part where I said this is our first family vacation???

Anyway, the kids were actually pretty good there. We declined the time share; the salesperson sent in her manager. We declined his offer and we left. It really was 90 minutes.

After that, we went to the Magic Kingdom again for a few hours. We saw a couple attractions that we didn't have time for the other day. The kids wanted to go on some of the same rides again and we were able to do that today too.

While I was there, I had the chance to meet up with a fellow blogger and Chicagoan, Michelle from HonestAndTruly.blogspot.com. It's a weird coincidence that we live near each other, we were both going to Orlando at the same time, we're staying in the same hotel, we both had nasty smelling rooms at first and had to switch, and we both went to Magic Kingdom today! I met her, her sweet parents, and her totally cute kids in Tomorrowland.

We left Magic Kingdom at about 5:30 and came back to our room where we met Angie from GoodForTheKids.com and her 2 cutie girls. We ate dinner outside at the pool and watched the kids swim for a while. Angie told me I have an accent. I so do NOT have any kind of accent. She obviously didn't hear the English/Scottish women talking yesterday!

While we were outside at the pool, we saw a guy who looked familiar. It was the crazy ole birdman! It was the same guy we saw when we were at this hotel last year! Really, there's a picture of him HERE from my post about Discovery Cove last year. (BTW, although Disney is fun, Discovery Cove is a fun, relaxing vacation!)

I soaked my aching feet in the hot tub while the kids swam and they feel so much better now. I may eventually walk again. I think I'll probably be able to compile some tips and do's and don't's for Disney World by the end of this week. I'll give you a couple "don'ts" right now though. Don't bother going to the Enchanted Tiki Room. It's lame. If you ride on Aladdin's flying carpet ride, be prepared to get spit on by a camel. (I didn't see that one coming!) Bypass Stitch's Escape because it's kinda stupid for one thing and it'll scare little kids for another. Don't forget your cell phone if you go to the Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor. You can text in jokes while you're waiting in line and they may use your joke in the show. I think a lot of the humor goes over the heads of little kids, but it was a short enjoyable show, in my opinion. It was kinda like Who's Line is It Anyway, in that it includes a bit of improv. Because of that, they show will be a little different every time you see it. Skip the Swiss Family Tree House. No kid has a clue about that show. Heck, most adults I know, don't remember the show. Basically, you just walk up like 6000 steps and see a bedroom in a tree house and then you walk down another 21,000 steps to ground. Yes, I counted the steps.

And the last tip for today - Don't plan on visiting theme parks every day of your vacation. Believe me, it is not a vacation to walk 50,000 miles in a week. It's too much for you and the kids. My kids were acting up this morning after the fun-filled time share thing, but thankfully they settled down when we got to the park. I, however, was on a rampage. I seriously fantasized about mowing people over with the stroller all day. Seriously, why do people just STOP in the middle of a walkway??? Why? Do they not notice the 4 billion people walking behind them? Do they not get the concept of moving over to the side of the road or sidewalk? Grrrr.

Other than my near explosion, we had another great day. The weather was beautiful, the park wasn't too crowded and we were able to do a lot of fun things with the kids.

Tomorrow we plan on spending a long day at MGM or Hollywood Studios or whatever it's called these days. It looks like it's supposed to rain the next couple days so maybe the parks will be empty. We'll see.

Here are a few pictures before I hit the sack...


The kids being goofy with, well Goofy.


I had to get a picture of Austin with Dumbo. When he was little, he was obsessed with elephants and he watched our Dumbo videotape so many times, he wore it out. Literally.


Captain Jack Sparrow on The Pirates of the Caribbean ride


The Jungle Boat Cruise


Brooklyn being unusually happy on the monorail


Me and Michelle


Lexi and Brooklyn with Angie's kids, Claire and Anna
(I've got to hand it to Austin and Savannah too. They played with and watched the little kids in the water for a long time this evening. Even our waitress commented on what great teenagers I have and she's right. They're good kids. I'm proud.)


Beautiful view!

27 comments:

Angie [A Whole Lot of Nothing] said...

Twas fun! My girls talked all the way home about your accent, I mean your kids.

I blogged you: http://awholelotofnothing.net

Yeah, that's right. You Twitter me, I blog you, woman.

Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

As many times as I have been to Disney, I will NEVER understand why people just stop in the middle of the walkway! It's one of the great mysteries of life, I suppose.

Glad ya'll are having fun! Disney is the BEST!

Kodie said...

Let me start by saying I LOVE your blog! I've read it for some time but have yet to comment.

I’m so jealous right now!!! Disney World is my absolute favorite place in the entire world (no joke...and I'm almost 21 years old). I totally understand all your tips though! We did theme parks every day and were wiped (mind you it was my mother, my 16 year old sister, and me when I was 18. I couldn't imagine bringing young kids...I was such a beast by the end of the day!) And it's very annoying how people just stop walking like there is no one else around. Add that to the heat and I had absolutely no patience.

Another do...if you plan to go to one of the water parks (Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon), bring water shoes! Not so much for Typhoon Lagoon but for Blizzard Beach. There is sand that obviously gets dragged around the park under people's feet and it really hurts by the end of the day (walking on that thin layer of sand plus hot cement).

Disney's Hollywood Studios is one of the better parks (in my opinion). The Lights, Motors, Action! is so cool to watch. And the Tower of Terror is a must (even if you think you'll be scared you won’t. It's a blast!) I don't think there was one attraction that I didn't like in that park. And getting a reservation for dinner that comes with reserved seating to the light show at night (I think it's called Illumination) is so worth it! One of the best shows at Disney.

Hope you and your family enjoy the rest of your trip. Wish I was with y'all. Looks like you're having an awesome time already.

Anonymous said...

Looks like everyone is having such a great time. I'm so jealous! You're so awesome to send us these updates everyday! Hope you're using too much of your vacation time on us!

Diane

Anonymous said...

Our family of 5 did a 5 day 4 night disney theme park vacation a few years ago. On our last day my wife and I were trudging across the parking lot pushing the stroller on our way into the park when we heard a commotion behind us. A young couple was running pushing their stroller while carrying a toddler. They looked very happy and energetic. I turned and told my wife , " that was us four days ago, I wanna see them on day 5 !". Disney is a blast but very exhausting. The best advice I could give anyone considering a Disney vacation is go during off peak season and do not try more than 3 days in a row.

Unknown said...

Ahhh, Captain Jack. Too bad they don't have the real thing with HIM walking around! That would be my vacation. Yep, my whole vacation, just following Captain Jack around. I could be happy with that.

Looks like you guys are having a great time! And is Miss Angie from Forida? I'm from Ohio and I spend time in North Carolina yearly. I swear everybody below the Ohio River thinks that people in the north have accents. I've been called a yankee while in NC. Then I've had people from Canada tell me I have a southern accent. Nobody can make up their mind.

Krys72599 said...

We've done several free vacations and sat through the required time share presentations. The difference is it's just my husband and me; we didn't have to worry about controlling the kids while we burst the salesperson's balloon. We basically walked in, told them that we were there for the free vacation, that we owned a 2nd vacation home (which is true!) and that we go on vacations so rarely we jumped at the opportunity to go to Florida/Williamsburg,VA/Atlantic City,NJ for free. You can literally SEE the dollar signs fade out of their eyes while they then torture us for 90 minutes for nothing! Then we leave and go on our merry way! Can't say I'd do it for every vacation we take, but for a few weekends, where we REALLY needed a break, mm-hmm, we're basically selling ourselves for a free ride...

Rick said...

Dawn, I've never even been to Chicago, and yet, the world doesn't seem right when you're not there.

Anonymous said...

I have to disagree about the Enchanted Tiki House. It may be lame, but I love it. I'm sure it's because I remember that "ride" being featured on the Wonderful World of Color in the 1960s, when Disney World was just being built, and I was fascinated by the animatronics. It's a sweet nostalgic experience for me.

Laura said...

I'm a DVC member, and we absolutely love it!!! Timeshares aren't for everyone, but this is a great one...you can use your points to vacation anywhere in the US!

Anonymous said...

Hello!! I'm an oft reader but have never commented. Love your blog though, you have such a beautiful family! Anywho, I was wondering if you could share the name of the hotel you guys are staying in. My family and I are going to Disney in April and I've been looking everywhere online for a hotel/villa that offers a full kitchen and nice pools that's actually a NICE hotel. Would you be able to share that with us?? Thanks a bunch if you do! Hope you and your family enjoy the rest of your time in Disney!! (I have been reading and studying every Disney post so I can get a feel for do's and dont's when we go. We are going in kind of blind so it's great having some behind the scene help from a fellow "Cool" mom!!) - Amy

Patois42 said...

Your experience with the time share makes me want to do one just for the free (or very cheap) room.

Anonymous said...

Glad youre enjoying your trip...it's getting chilly here in Illinois! Me=jealous! :P
~Bailey

Mel said...

We just got back from Disney last Friday, and I am ROFL about your stroller comments!! I totally share your stroller rage. Some people practically beg to be run down. And I am sooooo jealous that you met Mushu!!! Enjoy Hollywood Studios - It's my favorite!

Aloha Ya'll! said...

People don't watch "The Swiss Family Robinson" anymore? My kids have worn that tape out! They all hope we are some day wrecked on an island so they can live in a tree house and tame a pet elephant! LOL.

My family must just be weird. :-)

Anonymous said...

I will never listen to a time share ever again in my life also. The last time my now husband and I went to one we were not married or even engaged at the time. The person was so rude to us he accually looked right at my now husband and said "Well, obviously you can't make a commitment if you two have been dating for 4 years and your not even engaged yet". We stood up an walked right out of there on him. I'm glad your person was not pushy or rude at all. Keep having fun at Disney World, I wish I was there right now instead of Wisconsin, freezing my butt off.

Anonymous said...

oh Dawn I hope you can work things out...My prayers are with you.
JJ from Frankfort

Keekee said...

AWE!!! I love the Tiki Room. It is dorky, but you GOTTA get the Pineapple Ice Cream! It is to die for! I have FOND memories of the Tiki Room. My mom loved it and I love taking my kids there. They love it too! Have fun on the rest of your vacation!!

Anonymous said...

We thought it would be less crowded with the rain, too. Obviously, so did the 500,873 people that were there.

I told my family it's a good thing we're the laid back sort, becasue if not, I would have gone postal over all the pushing, stopping and general rudeness of the people in Disney.

Anonymous said...

best wishes and such a great blog site. i will be back some how i found you looking for stuff on our sons birth defect esophageal atresia.

Kim Williams said...

Great pictures! Just wondering if you are staying at Westgate Lakes. We stayed there this summer and had to kind of play hardball to get through the time share meeting. Apparently they had to hear the word "no" at least 100 times before they understood we really meant it.

Hope you have fun at Hollywood Studios! The Tower of Terror is totally worth the wait for any ride lovers, as is the Aerosmith Roller Coaster. And if the girls love princesses, don't miss the Beauty and the Beast show...the opening act is really funny as well!

Can't wait to read your next entry!

Unknown said...

I seriously fantasized about mowing people over with the stroller all day. Seriously, why do people just STOP in the middle of a walkway??? Why? Do they not notice the 4 billion people walking behind them? Do they not get the concept of moving over to the side of the road or sidewalk? Grrrr.

When you figure that one out, you can stop blogging, because you'll be filthy rich! We call those people MARTHA's and they are everywhere.

Michelle said...

Too much fun to finally see you in Disney. I feel like I'm living your life ;) Except for the 6 kids and book deal and funny blog part of it!

Thanks for saying such sweet things about my parents. Who are SO grating on my nerves and we have a whole week left here yet. I saw a "mixology" class offered at the hotel today and was SO tempted to go do that.

Here's hoping you had a great time at the Hollywood Studios. And I have to know... how do you sleep 8 in the two bedroom villa? I saw the 2 bedroom villa (our original room was a connecting one with the 2 bedroom), and ...

Leciawp said...

Looks like fun!!

Anonymous said...

Glad you have had good weather so far, and sorry it is going to rain on you tomorrow. I have found that people stop in front of you like you're not there everywhere I go. How frustating! I feel like bumping into them and saying, "Oh, excuse me, I didn't see you just standing there in the middle of the walkway." Think they'd get the message? Nay, me neither.
I totally agree with Austin, I love elephants, and have quite a collect of them (small ceramic ones, of course). Have fun.

Anonymous said...

Hi Dawn,
I've been reading your blog since the pokemon card post. I've never felt the need to write in until now.

Your children (and you!) need to watch Swiss Family Robinson. It is a FANTASTIC movie!!! My son who is 7 watches it any chance he can get (and has for the last 2 years!). It is a wonderful movie!!!

And you are so lucky that WDW still has the treehouse. Disneyland replaced it with Tarzan. Talk about a lame movie that no one knows about....

I seriously want to go to WDW JUST for the treehouse.

Okay enough berating you on your blog. Love following your hysterical life...

And when you are in Sonoma and have some free time to go check out art...stop by my cousin's art gallery..Cynthia Hipkiss. Her specialty is hilarious statues of "lots too love" women.

http://cynthiahipkiss.com/frames.html

Fanny

Charlie said...

Its so strange seeing pictures of other people standing exactly where you once were! We went to Disney in June. :)

Who's Visiting My Blog Right Now?

 
Home About Dawn Blog Books News & Events Press Kit Contact

Dawn Meehan 2008-. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design by Jones House Creative