Sunday, May 4, 2008

Sunday Sound Out

How many of your kids are in baseball right now? Just Lexi and Austin? Does Savannah play a sport?
Austin, Jackson, and Lexington are playing baseball this season. Savannah is playing softball now. Tomorrow all 4 of them have games at the same time at different fields across town. I'm still trying to figure out how we're going to get to all the games.

Wait a minute--in all the amusement this almost got by me--do you really drive a truck? I mean, how do you fit six kids in a truck?
I actually drive a van. Brooklyn has just called it a "truck" for some time. I think I've finally taught her to say "van" now!

What program do you use to edit your movies? My program doesn't do the cool titles yours does.
Austin uses I use Windows Movie Maker.

That provided a good laugh. I have a question for you - how's it going with your on-line surveys? I'd love to hear an update and if it's still worth it.
OK, I've gotta be honest here. I don't have a clue what you're talking about. Of course, that's not saying much since I'm clueless about a lot of stuff these days.

I recently started a blog for my family and friends to see, but I can't figure out the *cross out the word* thing that you do . I can do it in my word program, but when I copy and try to paste it over, it doesn't have the crossed out words there. I know this is such a random and of the subject thing, but I AM SO CURIOUS!!! AND I CAN'T FIGURE IT OUT!!!
OK, before the word you want crossed out, type "<" then type "del" then type ">". Then after the word you want crossed out, type < /del >. That will draw a line through the word. I used some spaces and quotation marks in my example so the word wouldn't really get crossed out. Just omit the spaces and quotation marks when you do it.

Dawn I was wondering how the Feingold diet is working for you this time around?
Well, it doesn't work as well as the medication he was on as far as helping him to slow down and control himself. However, it also doesn't give him high blood pressure like the medication did, so we're dealing with it. It's a good, healthy diet for anyone to follow, but I won't lie and say it's easy. It's time consuming, expensive, and it can be hard to stick to sometimes. Avoiding temptation at a birthday party, for example, is difficult for a kid. It does have its drawbacks. Still, all in all, if you can afford it, cutting out artificial additives and preservatives is a good thing. Jax (and Clay for that matter) are much calmer, and more focused and in control than without the diet.

How much time do you spend in a week writing and posting the comments on your blog? Is it a full-time job?
Hmmm, that's a good question and I'm not sure how to answer. I write most of my posts really quickly. In general, it takes me 30 minutes or so to write a blog post. When I do a SSO, it takes me quite a bit longer because I have to go through a week's worth of comments to find the questions before I can answer them. Also, when I do a post like the one with the Mother's Day ideas, it takes a long time because I have to research and find ideas and insert a bunch of links and pictures into my post. Those usually take several hours. As far as approving comments, that doesn't take long at all. I quickly read through all of them and click "approve". Between that, book writing, and going through buckets of email, I'd say I spend maybe 20 hours a week or so on blog related stuff.

The movie is Steel Magnolias and the character is Wheezy!!!
LOL! OK, not to make fun of this, but it struck me as funny (probably because I watch too much kiddie and old TV)


This is Wheezie.


This is also Weezy.

However, Shirley MacLaine's character in Steel Magnolias was Ouiser Boudreaux.
How very sad that I even know this. Oh, if only I could send all this useless info to the recycling bin in my head, I'd free up so much more memory space. Then perhaps it wouldn't take me a whole week to remember to give my daughter lunch money.

Just wanted you know my husband is not happy with you. Because of you I am now addicted to blogging. You were my first and and now I can't stop. Any suggestions on what I should do?
Get a new husband?

What is the highest number of hits you've had in one day on your blog?
94,258
Nope, that's not a typo. This was right after the Pokemon card auction ended. I went from 5-10 hits a day to 94,000. I was totally freaking out and I don't think I ate or slept for a week after the auction ended. I didn't leave my computer at all. I got more than 10,000 emails from people that week. It was insane.


A few people asked me how they could find the products listed on my mother's day post here. I think I've fixed all the links so they should work now.

You still have time to enter the Lands' End giveaway here.


19 comments:

Angie [A Whole Lot of Nothing] said...

I have 0 kids in sports and can't plan my day.

You are a GODDESS.

Anonymous said...

"In general, it takes me 30 hour or less to write a blog post."


thank goodness!

Dawn said...

Lisa,
Oh my gosh, did I really write that? "30 hour or less!" @@ What a dork I am.
:::going to change it immediately before anyone else notices that I need some sleep!:::

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

I used to have 4 kids in different activities at the same time. I lived by carpool and kid-swapping.

Now they drive and scam their own rides mostly. Yay!

Kimberly said...

I love your blog...
Wouldn't it be a little easier for you to copy and paste the questions you "might" use for SSO into a word program or notepad or something so that when Sunday does roll around (as it often will) you will be that much closer to figuring out which questions you want to use! Just a thought.
Thanks again for the great blog! I can't wait for the book.

Anonymous said...

Dawn,

I noticed, too, but don't worry. We know what you meant. But yes, get to bed, now!

Just a loving suggestion about markers...get rid of anything that is not washable. It sucks when you want to do a project for you, because coffee, drool, etc., gets on it and then it smears all over!

Glad you survived your weekend!

God Bless,

stlmom

Anonymous said...

Dawn, so now that the Pokemon craze has passed how many hits does your blog average per day?

P.S. If the ADHD med you tried for Jackson didn't work out, you could try using a different medicine. There are several different classes of ADHD meds available. I understand your frustration with side effects. I am still trying to find the right one for my son. I tried taking him off of his, but he actually asked to be put back on it. He hated that he couldn't concentrate in school and really hated getting in trouble because he couldn't sit still :(

Joslin @ Just Batty said...

I just watched our local news about a woman in Salt Lake that her and her husband live off of the revenue her blog gets from posting ads. Does your blog make that much revenue?

Kelly said...

Hi Dawn,

I just wanted to say that you ROCK! I have just one child, a 4 yr old little boy and have a hard time keeping it together as a WAHM...thanks for the comic relief you provide. I look forward to purchasing your book!!

Kelly

MaBunny said...

I love the movie Steel Magnolias, and wheezers mangy dog, lol.
have a great day Dawn

Elizabeth said...

Hi Dawn,
Yup. My Hubby's a little miffed too. I started reading your blog during the Pokemon auction, and now have a Blog addiction. I don't spend THAT much time...really...I DON'T! Trying to stick to 1 or 2 posts a week...that's not too bad...It's reading all of the great blogs I've found that is SO time consuming!
Blessings and good luck with the "Quod-locating". EJT

Veggiemomof2 said...

My son has been calling my rental car (ford fusion) a van all week! LOL He's stuck on van after 9 yrs of me only driving van.

Kathi Roach said...

Dawn,
Thanks for answering my question about the highest number of hits you've had on your blog in one day. That is really AMAZING!

I only have 3 kids...one in softball & 2 in baseball. This weekend we had 7 games to watch because of make up games from rain outs! No one tells you that kind of stuff when you have babies. :)

Laurie said...

Hehe...

I have two kids...Ethan and Kayla...almost every day when I am talking to one of them I say the wrong name. "Kay...Ethan, did you take out the trash? "EEE...Kayla did you brush your teeth?" This drives them bonkers. Completey bonkers!! I mean I only have TWO kids, one boy, one girl. Easy enough right?? Apparently not!!

Do you ever do the name mix up thing?? Please tell me that you do and that I am not alone in this??

Anonymous said...

So I had a dream Saturday night and you were in it. But there were other famous folk as well, the NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK.
We were on a train just all hanging out having a party or something, there were other passengers too.
I grabed my phone (I really need to carry my real camera more) then I sat down next to you and said "Can I take a picture with you and a NEW KID, my mom is never going to believe that I was on a train with my favorite baby blogger and THE NEW KIDs, but it has to be Donnie, he's the only one my mom knowes, even though Jordan is my favorite."
So then right as you and I lean in and smile and wait for some handsome old boy band man to come sit by us both of my boys (3 and 5) come in to my room and wake me up, even though it was only 2am....
I really wanted to see that picute.
OH WELL

Anonymous said...

I just stumbled onto your blog from another blog, and it's fantastic!! I was reading your older posts and saw you have to have a colposcopy done on the 19th, I want to wish you the best with that. I've just gone through the same thing. :)

Anonymous said...

I love reading about all your 'adventures' with your children. Each of my children played sports which created the same scheduling challenge when their games were at the same time, generally at fields in opposite areas of the community. What worked for me was having 1 or 2 go with a teammate and after a couple of innings, I'd hop in the car so I could see a bit of each ones' game.
Soccer was more of a challenge but somehow, I always managed to see part of the games. Car-pooling is imperative in these situations!
Thank you for sharing your days, it brings back great memories to me.

MelissaQ said...

I love your blog, cant wait for the book. I also adore the cover. One question though, I can NOT for the life of me get that darn line slash out thing down, some how when I do it I slash out my whole post. Can you help? I think I need a visual. Thank you again in advance.

Anonymous said...

If sorting through comments to find for the Sunday thing is the most time consuming..you could make some kind of special 'comment/question' box people to ask in. I mean I'm sure you'd still read through the 582 comments you get a day but this not only would make it easier for you but could a good catch-all for the questions that might get overlooked sometimes. Just a thought.

Who's Visiting My Blog Right Now?

 
Home About Dawn Blog Books News & Events Press Kit Contact

Dawn Meehan 2008-. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design by Jones House Creative