Sunday, October 4, 2015

Where in the World is Dawn Meehan?

Because so many people have recently asked . . .

I haven't written about my life in a long time because, well, my life kinda sucks right now. I prefer to stick to humor and no matter how hard I try, I just can't seem to find the humor these days. I feel like Dan Akroyd in Trading Places. Not that a life of luxury and privilege was taken from me, but still, it's tough going from a place of relative comfort to one below the poverty line.


via GIPHY

I'm confident things will work out somehow. They always do. But while my kids and I are still facing eviction, it's hard to think of anything to write (anything that people would want to read anyway.)

So yeah, that's why I've been missing in action lately.

I had been working on my Single Moms Survival Guide this summer. In fact, I had about 30,000 words written. Then my agent crushed my soul when she told me she wouldn't be able to sell it. So I stopped. Even though I'd been excited about it while I was writing, I now think it stinks.

I did, however pick up the fiction piece I'd started some time ago. Somehow I'm finding it very easy to escape reality in the pages of my make-believe world. I think I'll participate in NaNoWriMo and finish it up. Even if my agent isn't interested in it, I will self-publish because unlike most of the stuff I write these days, it doesn't suck. In fact, I think it's good (and I only think 10% of what I write is good so that's saying a lot!) I think I finally figured out what I was doing wrong. You're supposed to write drunk and edit sober, not the other way around.  ;)


6 comments:

Kilian said...

I think you're smart to self-publish. All the money goes directly to you instead of whatever pittance the publishing company decides to dole out. You have such a tremendous following who will buy your book.

Regarding writing/editing, I've heard it express as 'write when you're manic, and edit when you're depressed.'

I'm sorry your life sucks right now. You work so hard and have so little to show for it. I hope things will turn around soon for you.

Nikki T said...

Dawn,
Just want to say 'hang in there'. I really enjoy your blog, be it happy, humorous or otherwise. I get not wanting to share publicly, the hard knocks in life, but just know we are all human and can all relate (or at least we can!).

Thanks for writing and sharing. Thinking of you and hoping some good vibes come your way for you and your family.

Kindly,
Nikki

Anonymous said...

Thanks for breaking radio silence. As one of the ones who wrote to ask how you're doing, I can say we're out here and we care. I'm also with you on the shift from relative comfort to far below comfort, so I sympathize.
Try throwing up a balloon from the depths once in awhile that says, "I'll let you all know when things get funny again"?

A Caring Fan

Jenny Binder said...

ill read your book!! heck i would even read the single mom one even though I have no kids. you got a real way with words. your a inspiration for me to keep writing even when I feel my work sucks

Natalie said...

I love your blog! Honestly, I look forward to this blog! If I am being honest, at first, I followed you because our teacher required us to follow one blog outside of our school. But I am so glad I followed you! And if you do self-publish your book (which I think you should) I would totally buy it! You make me laugh so hard so thank you for being you! And even when you're not writing humorous blogs about your life, it's oddly satisfying to know that you are human and everything isn't always going to go as planed. Stay strong, and your in my prayers! <3
best wishes to you and your family,
Natalie

Practical Mama said...

If you are still working on this this group is quite helpful for self-publishing https://www.facebook.com/groups/357112331027292/

Who's Visiting My Blog Right Now?

 
Home About Dawn Blog Books News & Events Press Kit Contact

Dawn Meehan 2008-. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design by Jones House Creative